Talk

Advanced search

Supply Teacher

(5 Posts)
Goofygoober79 Tue 04-Oct-11 19:32:38

I'm new here, so go easy on me smile !

I've recently started Primary supply teaching, after two years in secondary teaching then two years of working as a Teaching Assistant in a Primary school, as I want to change from secondary to primary teaching.

Thing is, I've seen many, many bad supply teachers in Primary schools, and I'd like your opinion on this. The best supply teachers get lots of work, short and long term placements, but others just turn up, do a rubbish job then leave. I'm trying to make sure I'm not one of those! I do have an advantage in that I'm used to secondary and sixth form aged pupils, so I'm not scared of Year 6, as some supply teachers seem to be!

What are your experiences of supply teachers?!

Goofygoober79 Tue 04-Oct-11 20:14:09

Come on people - I know I'm new, but help me out here!

corlan Tue 04-Oct-11 21:49:43

I'm a TA in secondary, so I've seen my fair share of really dreadful supply teachers. Having said that, I do appreciate what a hard job it is and that torturing the supply teacher is a favourite sport at many schools.

In my experience, it's very, very rare for a supply teacher to ask a teaching assistant advice on how to deal with the class. If you have another adult in the class,especially if they know the class, you should make use of that resource. So many supplies don't - I don't know if it's arrogance but it's a fundamental error.
Another basic error most make is not finding out what the behaviour management policy is at the school.You need to know how many warnings a child gets and what the sanctions are.Most importantly, you need to let the students know that you know this!

tutorsurrey Sun 09-Oct-11 12:19:48

I did supply for a year or do before tutoring.Probably not best to give advice though cos my control would gradually slip over the months or weeks I was there! I thought I was strict- they just said I was fussy.
I don't know whether it was me getting tired or them just realising I was a pushover.
Previous poster speaks sense.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about results and focus on a decent atmosphere. Then results may follow.
And enjoy it. If you're not, quit.
Robin

cece Sun 09-Oct-11 12:21:00

As a teacher I would say make sure you mark the work the children have done with you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now