Talk

Advanced search

What are the codes/words used to describe different types of absence for school?

(11 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 04-Oct-11 16:26:27

Please?

Sons school has the following:

/ - present AM
\ - present PM
B - educated off site
C - other authorised circumstances
D - dual registration
E - excluded
F - extended family holiday (agreed)
I - illness
J - interview
L - late (before register closes)
M - medical/dentist
N - no reason yet provided
O - unauthorised absence
P - approved sporting activity
R - religious observance
S - study leave
T - traveller absence
U - late (after register closes)
V - education visit ot trip
W - work experience
# - school closed to pupils and staff
Y - enforced closure
X - non-compulsory school age absence
Z - Pupil not on roll
- - No mark recorded

MaureenMLove Tue 04-Oct-11 16:57:55

It probably depends on what operating system your school uses too Katy but Dinos sound pretty similar to ours. What code are you questoning?

sorry, typo:

V - educational visit OR trip

KatyMac Tue 04-Oct-11 17:08:04

DD has been put down for "Vocational" when I thought it would be "Educated off site" & I wondered if there was a difference & what it was

OddBoots Tue 04-Oct-11 17:27:17

Is she away doing something extra curricular?

I would have thought 'educated off site' was if they went elsewhere for a standard subject for example a pupil referral centre or another school and 'vocational' was work experience or doing something like a sport.

MaureenMLove Tue 04-Oct-11 17:34:13

Does she do a college course? That could be it. I suppose vocational and educated off site, could be one and the same, in that event?

KatyMac Tue 04-Oct-11 17:44:46

Yes she is attending the National Finals for her dancing - she is 'officially' G&T for that now so instead of calling it authorised I guess they went for vocational.

I guess it's nice that they are recognising that she wants to do this as a career

cricketballs Tue 04-Oct-11 17:49:25

they will have used vocational as OFSTED and the LA trawl through attendance records and will want to know reasons for 'authorised' absence more than just that it was authorised; i.e. specific category's for funerals etc.

jabed Tue 04-Oct-11 20:14:09

My school only uses three codes. Other than / for present, we have:

A = authorised absence ( that is we know where they are even though not in school and its been agreed beforehand)

N = Nothing known.

I = Illness notified.

KatyMac Tue 04-Oct-11 20:42:37

I don't think I m concerned about vocational - I was just surprised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now