Talk

Advanced search

A proper "as the crow flies" distance calculator - is there one?

(18 Posts)
JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 03-Oct-11 15:37:00

I found one online tool but it only calulates the distance between the first bit of two postcodes (so from SN13 to SN12, say) which doesn't really help - particularly as we're at one extreme of the area and the school I'm trying to convince dp we're too far away from considering is at another.

Google Maps seems only to give travel distances - which can be far greater than the direct line distance.

Or should I just go straight to the LA? Would they tell me?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:15:11

try setting google maps to walking mode

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:17:18

or this
www.freemaptools.com/distance-between-uk-postcodes.htm

ConstanceNoring Mon 03-Oct-11 16:24:34

Now that is a cool tool [wow emoticon]

Already looking forward to answering the DCs question "but how far is it ?" next time we go on a car journey...

"Well, DS, it's 87.668 miles as the crow flies"

shock shock

Lizcat Mon 03-Oct-11 16:37:43

Does no one else use a piece of string and an OS map?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 03-Oct-11 16:46:42

Walking mode doesn't work because there's a river, a canal, a bypass and a railway track all of which add miles to the distance.

But yes, the free map tools link is great, thank you Talkin ; I did find it earlier but was skiving Googling in my lunchbreak and the office PC didn't like it so I assumed it wasn't much cop.

*Lizcat I am ashamed to say that it didn't even occur to me. Good grief, what have things come to? blush

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:53:13

I would do OS maps
BUT I'm one of the people who posted on the map thread and admitted to having a whole shelf dedicated to the pink ones. And four copies (different editions) of certain numbers!

MediumOrchid Mon 03-Oct-11 17:11:11

This is also a useful tool: www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

BusterGut Mon 03-Oct-11 18:52:14

My Garmin satnav does it!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 03-Oct-11 18:55:04

Use the mapmyrun website. You can draw a line between 2 points on a map and it will give you the distance.

prh47bridge Mon 03-Oct-11 19:07:03

Please be aware that the distance given by these tools will not necessarily be the same as the distance used by the Local Authority. The system used by your LA will be far more accurate.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Oct-11 19:41:50

prh
at kids junior school, 1:10,000 map provided by the Ordnance Survey and a ruler!
I was a governor. I stood and watched.

admission Mon 03-Oct-11 22:17:29

Talkingpeace, I can only say, as soon as anybody appealing finds out there will be utter chaos because you have absolutely no possibility of proving the distance is genuine.
Is this a faith school or a community school?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Oct-11 22:21:06

the school won the appeal
controlled primary
not an unusual thing

(no g in my name)

prh47bridge Mon 03-Oct-11 22:45:05

TalkinPeace2 - I can assure you it is unusual. A proper independent appeal panel would not be impressed by this method of measuring distance, nor would the LGO. The LA will have a much more accurate method of measuring distances. Not sure what you mean by "controlled primary" but if it is a community school they should not have been involved in measuring distance at all. That is the LA's job.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 04-Oct-11 10:07:20

Oh I appreciate that LAs use more precise measures - I just needed an approximation. Within half a mile is enough (as it stands we're a good mile further away than the furthest distance offered over the past 3 years).

ChippyMinton Tue 04-Oct-11 12:47:13

Try your LEA website. Ours (Surrey) has a tool where you input your address and it calculates the straight line distance to each school.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 05-Oct-11 11:56:16

My LA doesn't have that, unfortunately. It would be useful to have access to the same tool they use themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now