Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed from secondary teachers on 0.6 - or Union Reps.

(9 Posts)
FontSnob Wed 28-Sep-11 20:25:17

Thanks for reading,

I am .6 and currently teaching 13 periods out of 15, one of which is a PPA. School have said I am over allocation and will be given an extra lesson. This will make my only non-contact time, 1 PPA.

This in no way = 10% of my timetable (by my calculations anyway).

So I guess my question is, how does it work in your schools and should I kick up a fuss and say no?

runningmonkey Wed 28-Sep-11 20:42:28

I teach 0.6 and have 26 lessons, three ppa's and one 'free' over a two week timetable. My understanding was that my 'free' was only there because our department were overstaffed so we were all given 1 lesson which was supposed to be used as curriculum development time but more often than not I got used for cover (am currently on mat leave).

Think you should have 1.5 ppa per week so prob worth speaking to your union rep

noblegiraffe Wed 28-Sep-11 20:58:03

10% of 15 is 1.5 lessons. PPA should be rounded up, so you should have 2 PPAs, because if, as they are trying to do, they round it down, you are not getting your 10%.

You should kick up a fuss, 10% is in your pay and conditions.

FontSnob Wed 28-Sep-11 21:33:24

Thanks,I thought that I probably should. Grr.Appreciate the replys.

noblegiraffe Wed 28-Sep-11 21:41:31

If they try to suggest you have enough PPA because of tutor time (assuming you're not a tutor) remember that PPA has to be given in minimum half hour blocks.

FontSnob Wed 28-Sep-11 21:46:20

Oh, I am a tutor...and do break duty, go in for 6th form open evenings on my day off etc

noblegiraffe Wed 28-Sep-11 21:50:56

I do one break duty a fortnight, full time teachers do one a week. Also do open evenings, I think that's just par for the course.

Jealous of you only working 3 days though! I'm 0.6 and in every day. Where I have a trapped free that isn't marked PPA, I don't get paid for it.

FontSnob Wed 28-Sep-11 22:00:24

Wow, that doesn't sound fun.

noblegiraffe Wed 28-Sep-11 22:13:32

TBF, if I have to teach a whole day now (I have one a week), I am on my knees by the end. It's so exhausting, that having 3 or so lessons a day isn't as bad as it might sound.

But the trapped free issue means I made sure I looked up the PPA rules and tried to ensure that whenever I'm in school I'm getting paid for it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now