Talk

Advanced search

Different pre-school & primary school - does it really make no difference?

(5 Posts)
PogoBaby Wed 28-Sep-11 20:15:25

We're hoping to sell our house in the next few months and for various boring reasons we may be moving to the next county for 18 months.

We'll need to apply for a pre-school place for DD in Jan 2013 in the next county, and then primary school in Jan 2014 by which time we will have moved back to this county (following me grin).

All the info on the our this councils website states that attendance at a pre-school does not automatically lead to attending the primary school. Is this true in the real world or do schools favour those pupils that have attended their pre-school??

This move could be ideal for us in the short term but can't help but worry about DD and school!!

Thanks

amistillsexy Wed 28-Sep-11 20:18:41

No, the council is correct! grin
Also, as for social reasons, my DS has just started Reception and none of his pre-school friends went with him. Tonight about 5 children called out to him as he walked home, including 2 girls who came to giggle and chat him up (4 years old, I might add!). He told me he's 'quite in love' with one of them, and she sometimes looks 'a bit beautiful'. When she asks, he lets her kiss him, which he likes. grin.

madwomanintheattic Wed 28-Sep-11 20:21:24

usually true - but check the admissions criteria for the specific school/s you are looking at.

but if it says no advantage, it means no advantage. admissions criteria are rigorously upheld, so that appeals can be scrutinised properly.

the 'real world' for admissions is what it says in the admission criteria.

so you just need to be certain that your address at application is verifiable and appropriate for the catchment of the school. where she went to pre-school is not relevant at all.

PogoBaby Wed 28-Sep-11 20:41:24

thanks both, that's really reassuring smile

The whole schools thing is totally new to me 9well DD is only 13 months old!)

sunnydelight Thu 29-Sep-11 08:29:08

The school doesn't get to favour anyone, admission to reception classes is up to the LEA (and they have to follow their totally transparent admission guidelines). Very often parents seem to gloss over this fact then get very upset when their child does not get a place in reception even though they have been told very clearly that getting a place in the pre-school does not give any advantage when it comes to reception admissions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now