Talk

Advanced search

Translation Services

(3 Posts)
Scottie04 Wed 28-Sep-11 13:28:08

Hi
Does your school offer newsletters etc in foreign language for the parents who do not speak English. She says the costs are quite high for translation and there are only 2 children in the school with English not a first language. Have any schools found a cheap way of translation. (Arabic)

Thanks

IndigoBell Wed 28-Sep-11 14:10:41

I have never heard of newsletters being translated. Particularly for only 2 parents.

I think the responsibility is on those parents to find someone to read it to them. Are their kids able to read yet? Who helps them with all the normal paperwork they have to deal with?

If the newsletters were emailed though wouldn't google translate them for you?

What we do have, is software which translates what you type into another language, so we can communicate with parents face to face.

We also have a monthly coffee morning for parents with poor English who can bring in anything they need translating.......

I can't remember our stats, but I think around 30% EAL, and about 60 first languages.......

Scottie04 Wed 28-Sep-11 14:32:10

Thanks
I agree I think it is the responsibility of the parents but some people feel the mothers may feel 'excluded' as English is not their first language. Thanks for the suggestions -

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: