Talk

Advanced search

need you advice to stop me obsessing

(14 Posts)
gaveitago Tue 27-Sep-11 19:12:54

Hello this is my first post so a little nervous.
My ds 1 did less well in his A levels than expected (a bright boy with dyslexia and a girlfriend - not a good combination for working hard)
He refused to consider re takes (against his school's advice - who thought he was capable of much more)
So through clearing he got into a "not very good" uni -but doing the course he wanted - chemical engineering.
So what do you think - is a good course from a "bad" uni better than a bad course from a "good" uni?

windatmytail Tue 27-Sep-11 19:20:59

Hello and welcome smile
I think that the course is as good as the lecturers who teach it, not the uni TBH.
I have just graduated from a Uni that comes quite low on the league tables. the course was great and very challenging and I have a well respected degree, and a good job now too smile

gaveitago Tue 27-Sep-11 19:27:49

Thanks, that's what I need to hear-I know I'm being silly- probably mixed with ds leaving home worries.

QTPie Tue 27-Sep-11 19:37:06

If it is a good course, with good lecturers and with good links (and well respected by) industry, then that is great.

Does it have a placement as part of the degree? How many leavers are employed on (or soon after) graduation? Are they mainly employed in Chem Eng or related or other professional (like accountancy, consultancy) fields? Who are the main employers of graduates from that course at that uni?

If the course translates into a high chance of a good/relevant job on graduation, then your son shouldn't loose (providing he does actually KNUCKLE down and PREFERABLY get a 2.1 out of his degree). Subsequent employers after that will be MAINLY looking at work experience (first jobs and placements) rather than where the degree came from.

He also has an option of going on to do a higher degree after his first degree and that can also change things (assuming your first degree is good). I had a degree in Architecture (2.1) from Oxford Brookes (I too under-performed in my A-levels - grades BCC), but took a Masters in Computing at Bristol University (got a commendation for that - so was in the top 5% of my course). My first post-graduate job was as an IT Consultant with one of the top 5 global Management Consultancies... They were more interested in my Masters (and that I had a 2.1 for my first degree) than anything before that (first degree subject and poor A-levels).

So if the course produces very employable graduates and he starts putting the work in (2.1 really helps), then it shouldn't be a problem. He would also hugely benefit from whatever work placements (in Summer holidays etc) that he can get his hands on (paid or unpaid...).

QT

gaveitago Tue 27-Sep-11 19:49:27

Thanks for the advice QT

An0therName Tue 27-Sep-11 22:30:34

very good advise -in my experience chemical engineers are well sort after - and leads to lots of oppertunties wherever they went to - totally agree with QT about work experience and 2:1 if possible

forehead Tue 27-Sep-11 22:45:14

Brilliant course, brilliant prospects.

senua Wed 28-Sep-11 00:38:05

So your DS got in this year and is paying fees at £3000pa instead of £9000pa next year? Don't blame him!

whenIgetto3 Wed 28-Sep-11 10:08:12

the other important thing is that he got the course he wanted rather than a good uni with a course he didn't want to do, if he had done a course he didn't want to do then he would get bored easily and most likely fail due to lack of interest.

senua Wed 28-Sep-11 10:29:05

I really shouldn't say this if we are trying to stop you obsessing, but do you know that students sometimes transfer from one University to another? Is this something you could investigate without implying to your DS that you think that he has make a poor choice that you don't respect.
I don't know how often students up-trade; neighbour's DD down-traded from a Russell Group to an ex-FE-College (because she was missing the boyfriendhmm) but it all ended happily when she graduated with a good result and went straight into employment.

gaveitago Wed 28-Sep-11 19:15:52

Thanks again, just got in from work and so happy to hear responses- a few kind words (that really I could have said to myself) go a long way.
Just in case I continue to obsess - how would I go about investigating transfer - contact uni direct?
He had such good feed back from his interviews - got 5 glowing Russell group offers- would they still have him on file?

senua Thu 29-Sep-11 08:07:46

Sorry, giveitago, I have no idea about transfers - I was waiting for an Admissions Tutor to step in and be knowledgeable. Perhaps if you post a new thread with that query in the title you might get some response. The logistics are a bit difficult: DS will spend the first term getting to know new friends. Around Christmas time, those friends will club together and organise a house-share for year 2. I presume DS won't know if he will get his transfer until after the results of his year 1 exams, if they are good enough. He will then need to let down his house-share, move away from existing friends, move to the new University at short notice with no accommodation sorted and try to make new friends when they are already in established groups. It will be stressful.

senua Thu 29-Sep-11 08:08:15

(Sorry. Had to start a new post because my return button is not working so I can't split it into paragraphs) The only other thing I can think of, and I don't know if this ever happens, is to see if he can transfer now. There are always a few who drop out within weeks of starting for various reasons. I don't know if anyone ever takes up the empty places. I have no idea if this would be a runner this year anyway, with huge over-subscriptions due to the fee increase.

windatmytail Fri 30-Sep-11 10:50:32

I think its very unlikely that he can transfer now, even if there are drop outs early on most courses close at enrolment (probably last week).

I would only consider a transfer if he is really unhappy with the course, and he will need to get outstanding results if he wants to trade up uni's, so to speak.

If he does want to transfer after year one into year two of same course in another uni they will look at the compatibility of the courses - has he completed the same modules etc. if not he may be able to transfer but they will ask him to go into first year again.

If I was him, for simplicity sake, I would consider finishing his current degree (all going well) and getting good results! Then look into post grad stuff at a better uni. Unless the current employment climate improves dramatically this will probably be the best way of improving his chances in the job market. That and work experience as already mentioned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now