Talk

Advanced search

school communication

(7 Posts)
HecticMom Thu 22-Sep-11 13:57:55

Hi, I am a mum with 2 children at a private school in London. I am frustrated by how little I know about what my kids are doing at school on a daily basis. What tests they have done, how they have done them, what mistakes they have made, how they behave, what their strengths/weaknesses are, schedule changes at school or after school clubs. I am curious to know how other parents are being kept informed. I would appreciate if you could spare some time and answer a few questions using this link http://parentssurvey.wufoo.com/forms/parents-survery/.
Maybe there is something we can do about it!

HecticMom Thu 22-Sep-11 17:56:08

Sorry, here's the link: parentssurvey.wufoo.com/forms/parents-survery/

noblegiraffe Thu 22-Sep-11 22:00:19

Erm, don't you ask your kids what they're up to?

happygardening Fri 23-Sep-11 07:59:18

DS2 is at an independent full boarding school we have the emails of all the staff and can contact them at any time for info on how their getting on. He started a few weeks ago and I've had an email his English teacher regarding his spelling and writing; he's dyslexic, in response to my enquiry I wanted to now if he needed a laptop. I think you should go in and ask the staff how are they getting on.
But having said this I also think you should chill out we are only a few weeks into the the term. If there was a serious problem with their behaviour rest assured they would have told you, with regard to mistakes we all make mistakes and do you need to be informed of everyone they make and they may not have been tested that much either but if they have I'm sure you will be told the results in a report at the end of term or in a parent teacher meeting.

mumeeee Fri 23-Sep-11 09:39:33

If you are worried about something you could try phoning the school. Otherwise just chill out a bit. You don't need to know everything. that's happening everyday. As another poster said you could ask
your children.

HecticMom Fri 23-Sep-11 13:15:37

I don't know if it's a boy thing but my kids do not tell me much about their day at school. I am curious about how they're doing and would want to support them. Plus I am anxious into getting them into a good secondary school and wouldn't want to find in 6 month's time that they are lagging behind in some subjects. Teachers are often busy at pick up time.
I also would want a more structured approach to homework communication. My sons do sometimes forget to do their homework as there is no form of communication to the parent.
Am I asking for too much?

2kidsintow Fri 23-Sep-11 21:29:41

Hi, I am a mum with 2 children at a private school in London. I am frustrated by how little I know about what my kids are doing at school on a daily basis. What tests they have done, how they have done them, what mistakes they have made, how they behave, what their strengths/weaknesses are, schedule changes at school or after school clubs.

I think you need to ask yourself what your expectations of the school regarding communications are and whether they are reasonable. You could contact the school and ask for their communications policy, but they are unlikely to have one.

As a parent, I would expect to be kept informed of schedule changes, but I ask my child myself about their day and how they are getting on. I would expect the school to comment in parents' evenings (3x year) on their abilities, but only expect extra communication if anything was a cause for concern e.g. behaviour or problems with learning.

As a teacher I don't communicate with parents about the day to day work of assessment/testing and targets/areas we are working on as I'd never be done communicating....it is a constant process. I am quite happy, however, for any parent to call in and make an appointment to discuss their child's progress should they want to. I have also had parents help out in my class because they have been quite anxious/interested/(obsessed!) with how their child is getting on compared to their peers.

Chill! Ask your child. Reflect on your expectations. Contact the school for a meeting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now