Talk

Advanced search

School Attendance?

(22 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 09:33:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CustardCake Thu 22-Sep-11 09:39:00

Maybe he has health issues. Maybe he is educated partly at home and partly at school (mixed schooling)?

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 09:44:38

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 09:50:59

Jinx1906 Thu 22-Sep-11 11:38:11

Perhaps you could just ask the person who collects the child from school.

Our Primary bangs on on how we are not allowed to take our kids out but people do and it are always the same ones who take their summer hols during term time.

GypsyMoth Thu 22-Sep-11 11:45:12

A local girl us a school refuser, school have dealt with her by letting her do 11.30 til 1.45 in the learning support centre!!!

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 11:52:51

cornsillx Thu 22-Sep-11 11:54:38

How do you know that health is not an issue? Perhaps he has anxiety.

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 12:02:32

cornsillx Thu 22-Sep-11 12:03:47

but you don't know...if it wasn't a health issue they would have been prosecuted by now surely?

CustardCake Thu 22-Sep-11 12:04:39

School Refusing is very common at this age. Its when it stops being truancy and starts being a phobia. He may be being introduced back in gradually back in and only required to attend 2 or 3 times a week or for short sessions or he may have relapses where he goes for a while and then won;t go at all for ages (usually after a half term or other break in routine).

Whatever the reason, you can be pretty certain that other agencies are involved, the school knows something is wrong and what appears to be a child bunking off is probably more serious. They don't let children just not go to school for months and months.

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 12:08:35

cornsillx Thu 22-Sep-11 12:10:30

how would you know if he had mental health difficulties?

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 12:16:12

mirpuppet Thu 22-Sep-11 13:39:14

What is "school refusing"?

IndigoBell Thu 22-Sep-11 13:44:16

I think the rules about what the school can do are very complicated.

I think they can take legal proceedings against the parents. Fine them, and even get them imprisoned. But in many cases this would not be in the best interests of the child so the school might not want to do this.

They probably can exclude them (I'm not sure), but again, is this in the best interests of the child?

Permanently excluding children is complicated. And then what would he do? Where would he go?

So, yes, even assuming the child has to be in school. (Which I think is the most likely explanation.) School may think persevering with his half attendance is the least worst option for the child.

CustardCake Thu 22-Sep-11 14:20:50

School refusal is identified in children aged 5-17 years who:
1. are entirely absent from school, and/or
2. attend school initially but leave during the course of the school day, and/or
3. go to school following crying, clinging, tantrums or other intense behaviour problems, and/or
4. exhibit unusual distress during school days that leads to pleas for future absenteeism.

It is really common especially in early teens and is on a par with a phobia. It is not as straight forward as truanting - the kids aren't bunking school to do something more interesting, they hide out at home and do anything to avoid school. It can take a lot of time and intervention to solve.

CustardCake Thu 22-Sep-11 14:28:50

There's more about it here

It was one of those things I'd never heard of until a few months ago when someone I knew was battling with it (with their own child) and suddenly I've realised how common it is and have heard of loads of other cases.

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 21:50:23

cory Thu 22-Sep-11 22:59:24

My dd's school attendance is along those lines, OP. Mainly because of chronic physical illness, but lately (after years of harassment from school and welfare officers) also due to panic attacks and school refusal.

All I could say is that we had a very unpleasant time of it at her last school, with education welfare and SS investigating, despite having reams of medical evidence. The Head was clearly desperate to get rid of us, but since we did have the support of the medical profession there was little he could legally do- except make life difficult for us in the hope that we would withdraw dd.

If we had not had a reason, we could have been fined and dd could have been excluded.

Fortunately, every agency he involved came over to our side eventually (apart from one not very bright EWO) and we had lots of support. Ironically, it was only after dd had moved on to her lovely and supportive secondary school that she went to pieces and needed CAHMS involvement.

rubyrubyruby Fri 23-Sep-11 08:35:08

rubyrubyruby Fri 30-Sep-11 22:10:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now