Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First PTA Meeting today, what should I expect?

(9 Posts)
AndiMac Tue 20-Sep-11 18:17:49

I'm heading off to my first PTA meeting tonight and I'm not quite sure what to expect. I remember my mother being heavily involved in the PTA in Canada, but that's a lifetime ago and another continent, so not that relevant. Any advice or general comments about what to expect? And also, I want to ask here so I don't ask so bluntly at the meeting as this - I'm getting the feeling that the PTA is simply there as a fundraising committee and actually has nothing to do with what actually happens inside the school. Would I be right in that? Or does it differ from school to school?

2BoysTooLoud Tue 20-Sep-11 18:27:38

I was bored silly at PTA meetings. It is mainly about fund raising at our primary.

2BoysTooLoud Tue 20-Sep-11 18:28:29

Hope you have nice time though!

BeerTricksPotter Tue 20-Sep-11 18:39:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

senua Tue 20-Sep-11 18:47:57

Ask your questions.smile
If they are a nice committee, they will answer and be welcoming to a newbie.
If they are not a nice committee, then walk away!

I think most PTA are principally fundraisers, although raising funds includes organising socials. Deciding where the funds go is as far as the power goes.

merrymonsters Wed 21-Sep-11 15:03:23

You're right, it is about fundraising and social events. We sometimes run events, which we know don't make much profit, but that are fun for the kids. We also run very profitable events. The staff (teachers, bursar and headteacher) make suggestions for what to spend our money on and we agree or disagree.

The PTA is not the same as the governing body and doesn't make decisions about how the school is run.

AndiMac Wed 21-Sep-11 20:10:13

Yes, thanks everyone, as I figured. I'm glad I knew for certain before I went, as I was thinking it would be a bit more about how things are done in the school, as that's how it used to be for me when I was in school (back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth). No problem with it being different, I just was happy to know that beforehand to avoid confusing myself.

It went fine and everyone was quite nice. Certain events will be run by sub-committees, and I've already spotted that a few of those might drag on, so I'm going to try not to get too deeply involved in those ones.

theITgirl Wed 21-Sep-11 20:17:11

Parent Council - if there is one. Is the one that gets to put forward ideas for school stuff. I am on the one for the DC's school, don't have much power but we are the official liason between the parents and the school.

We do not deal with issues affecting one child, but put forward ideas about perents evening etc.

Not really any power but a voice to be heard.

AndiMac Wed 05-Oct-11 14:41:02

As a follow-up, today was a meeting of the Parents Forum, which is the issues/concerns/suggestions place apparently. Glad to know what's what and that there is more than just fundraising!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now