Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - would YOU be prepared to use a cane?

(114 Posts)
Greensleeves Fri 16-Sep-11 14:05:49

Inspired by Hulababy's fantastic post on the other thread

SURELY this could never work, because teachers would refuse? I don't know any teachers IRL who would be happy to hit a child with a stick and would be surprised to meet someone who would.

Wouldn't teachers protest/walk out/take some sort of group action to prevent this from happening in our schools? Please, tell me society can't actually go backwards!

Doowrah Fri 16-Sep-11 14:10:55

Nope, no need.

DogGoneMad Fri 16-Sep-11 14:11:33

Absolutely no way!!

Hulababy Fri 16-Sep-11 14:14:12

Ah, thanks blush

As I said on the other thread, as an (ex) teacher and now a TA there is no way I would ever hit ANY child for any reason. I would not work at a school that had this as their policy. I would refuse to follow an order to hit a child. I would be prepared to take union action, or similar, if this was imposed on a school/LEA I worked at.

Greensleeves Fri 16-Sep-11 15:50:02

belindarose Fri 16-Sep-11 15:53:39

I would no longer be a teacher if this was allowed as I could not condone my colleagues using corporal punishment.

Talker2010 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:07:24

I do not condone corporal punishment
I would not use it myself

I would not leave teaching in response to it though
Nor would I consider industrial action

katiej12 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:21:55

No. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. And I say this as someone who spent the afternoon on wednesday giving a statement to the police while trying to stop my nose bleeding. How on earth would I condemn that behaviour if I was as bad?

undervalued Fri 16-Sep-11 17:35:43

God, no!

cornsylk Fri 16-Sep-11 17:38:15

no. I think that anyone who would be prepared to hit a child shouldn't be working with children in the first place.

tethersend Fri 16-Sep-11 17:38:44

No, never.

It's never ok. Ever.

activate Fri 16-Sep-11 17:42:04

No

school corporal punishment would be laughed at by the kids I work with: they have cigarette lighter burns as initiation into gangs; 2 were stabbed over summer holidays fortunately not seriously.

violence begets violence

respect begets respect

(not a teacher but work with teens in an educational setting)

AbigailS Fri 16-Sep-11 18:16:18

Not in a million years!

ravenAK Fri 16-Sep-11 18:21:09

I would not be willing to commit assault on the young people I work with, no.

If I wanted to get paid for hitting people, I'd be a cage fighter.

EvilTwins Fri 16-Sep-11 19:10:56

No way. I can't even imagine doing it, and I don't see how it would serve any purpose. I have no desire for the students I teach to fear me, or what I might do to them.

talkingnonsense Fri 16-Sep-11 19:14:26

Well...there's times I have fancied a cattle prod! But seriously, I cannot imagine choosing, in cold blood, to hit someone. I have smacked my ds's once or twice, but only at the end of my tether. I can't imagine feeling like that with other people's dc's.

DialMforMummy Fri 16-Sep-11 19:17:01

Never.

reastie Fri 16-Sep-11 19:18:38

Nope, I just don't think I could do it. If it actually was bought back (not read the other thread or heard why it's in the news etc blush ) and it was school policy where I worked to use this method as a means of sanctions under certain behaviours then I would send a student to someone who would do it (eg the head), but I would avoid it myself.

EvilTwins Fri 16-Sep-11 19:20:49

reastie - I don't even think I could do that (send them to be caned by someone else). And I speak as someone who once had her finger broken by a child.

SheCutOffTheirTails Fri 16-Sep-11 19:22:42

If you would send a student to someone you knew would beat them, you might as well do it yourself.

Sparing yourself the discomfort of doing it, but actively participating in making it happen would be an act of supreme cowardice and hypocrisy.

mrz Fri 16-Sep-11 19:24:11

No

reastie Fri 16-Sep-11 19:24:14

evil shock . It would be really really hard and I'd hate it but I'd have to put my strict teacher hat on (I'm not nasty teacher but I am fussy grin ) and if that's policy then I'd do my best to follow it. IME many probs with behaviour occur when all teachers don't all stick to the same rules IYKWIM.

reastie Fri 16-Sep-11 19:26:55

she so maybe I'm a hypocritical coward hmm but at least I hypothetically would be prepared to follow the discipline policy if caning was in it. IMO if caning was bought back it would have to be done in a way like this anyway (teachers sending students to, say, headteacher to do it) so that it would ensure those overzealous teachers wouldn't be able to do it when it wasn't strictly deemed necessary.

Panzee Fri 16-Sep-11 19:29:44

Absolutely not.
And I would protest against those who would. (If we ever went back to corporal punishment, not that I think we would.)

twinklytroll Fri 16-Sep-11 19:30:35

No and I would not work in a school that used the cane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now