Talk

Advanced search

Have you done a PGCE? Advice please....

(14 Posts)
Greensleeves Thu 15-Sep-11 11:51:09

I am starting mine on Monday

I have been told to have waterproofs and wellies handy for a "residential field trip" which will take place "early in the autumn term" - no more details, very mysterious! Which would be fine, only I have 2 kids and dh is on call some of the time, so I can't just up and leave

and I don't want to ring the uni and demand further explanation <quiver> especially as I have been late with all my paperwork

can anyone shed light on what the first term of PGCE is likely to comprise?

schobe Thu 15-Sep-11 11:54:28

I would ring up and ask for further info! C'mon, be assertive.

Is it for primary or secondary?

I did a secondary one but it was well over 10 years ago now. I really, really enjoyed it. Nowhere near as hard as first year teaching ime.

Am excited for you! Good luck, it'll be great.

Greensleeves Thu 15-Sep-11 12:08:47

it's primary

and I am sooooo excited grin

I will ring up and ask if I have to, but I thought I would try Auntie Mumsnet first!

Greensleeves Thu 15-Sep-11 12:14:48

I KNOW MN is full of teachers grin

schobe Thu 15-Sep-11 12:16:32

Unfortunately secondary maths did not seem to cater for fun residential field trips.

Hope someone else comes along to enlighten you.

Well done for getting on the course. I predict you are going to love it.

kat2504 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:16:51

You will start with some observation, probably then go on to team teaching and planning lessons with your mentor and then after a couple of weeks you will start teaching parts of lessons then whole lessons by yourself,

Is the residential run by the university or by the school where your first placement is? You need to find out and explain that you need plenty of advance notice so that you can attend.

I did mine ten years ago, also secondary. It is hard work but the first half term will be relatively easy. After Christmas you will be teaching much more (I was on a placement pretty much all of that term, at school every day. In the first term it was uni 3 days, school 2 days a week)
It's hard finding time to juggle the uni course, the teaching, the essays, the marking, the reading and of course your own family. But it is definitely less labour intensive than the nqt year.

Greensleeves Thu 15-Sep-11 12:39:25

wow, thanks, lots of info there!

I am not on school placement until November, I am at uni until then and have very little idea what to expect - am prepared for a barrage of hard work though, as everyone keeps telling me how hideously hard the PGCE is grin

kat2504 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:45:43

At uni it will basically be a crash course in the National Curriculum, teaching methods, subject knowledge and writing essays about the above! You will have to learn about all sorts of things about how children learn, how to plan a lesson properly, how to assess work, how to plan for a class of children with different abilities. It is all quite daunting at first but it's quite nice actually to be back at university again!
They should be able to give you exact details about the residential as it must be all planned already. Hope you can go on it! I never got a field trip to France as part of my MFL course!

Greensleeves Thu 15-Sep-11 14:49:20

it sounds wonderful smile

rainbowinthesky Fri 16-Sep-11 13:23:12

Really enjoyed my PGCE. Did it 10 years ago and typing this from my desk in school. Love the job.

rainbowinthesky Fri 16-Sep-11 13:23:33

Should add it's lunchtime and children outside.

reastie Fri 16-Sep-11 19:21:41

you're doing a field trip at uni hmm . I thought you meant you were on a school placement and accompanying a school trip.

I did a GTP (similar to PGCE only based for the year at a school with occasional uni trips) and from my experience of talking to other trainees doing PGCE kat is quite spot on

Badgercub Sun 18-Sep-11 16:40:11

During my (primary) PGCE we had outdoor trips for a number of subjects; science, the environment, local history, orienteering, geography etc.

Phone them up and ask!

alegre Sun 18-Sep-11 17:59:46

Hi
When I started my PGCE 2 years ago (primary) we went on a weekend away at the start of the course. Basically it was to get to know one another and some of the tutors/mentors. We did stuff like circle time, games, a science experiment (in which we worked as a team) and a walk across a muddy field to the pub! The PGCE is quite intensive and the idea was that, if we get to know one another, we would be able to encourage and support each other throughout the year.

I did the PGCE with 2 children too and it's not easy. It helped that I wasn't the only mum on the course so there was plenty of moral support amongst us (lots of moments re what terrible mums we were 'cos we didn't have time for the kids). Warning - it can put a strain on the marriage; it all depends how supportive your dh is. My dh didn't really understand how much work I had to do.

The first term - if you're at uni that's OK and it's all exciting reading and discussing education. First placement can be a bit like a punch in the face as it feels like you hit the ground running. A lot depends on the school and your mentor.

Good luck with it! Come December you might feel exhausted and like you can't carry on but, after Christmas, time really does fly and you soon find yourself in the summer and the course completed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now