Talk

Advanced search

Do schools have to supply their SEFs under the Freedom of INformation act?

(20 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 10:35:06

anyone?

admission Wed 14-Sep-11 19:32:19

I would say no, but I am no expert. The SEF is an internal document to the school.
It should also be said that the SEF is no longer a requirement for Ofsted inspections, so the school does not actually have to have a SEF.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 19:33:14

SIP?

EvilTwins Wed 14-Sep-11 19:34:10

Not as far as I know. Why would you want it anyway?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 19:38:36

I am having a bit of a dispute with the Head. She's being a bit silly and unreasonable and I want to show her her own targets.

Flisspaps Wed 14-Sep-11 19:40:56

SIP is School Improvement Partner (or was in the school I worked in) which was a bod from the council who came in and looked over the work that had been put in place.

EvilTwins Wed 14-Sep-11 19:44:53

SIP is School Improvement Plan in our school, also RAP which is Raising Attainment Plan. Both internal documents.

Starlight - are you a parent with a child at the school?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 19:46:44

Yes. Evil. Although not until Jan.

EvilTwins Wed 14-Sep-11 19:47:27

Primary or secondary?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 19:49:49

Primary, why?

EvilTwins Wed 14-Sep-11 19:53:29

Just because I'm secondary and have more understanding of SEF/SIP/RAP targets in a secondary.

This dispute with the head - do you know that there is evidence in the SEF/SIP to support your point? If so, could you use that knowledge anyway in discussion? Is there anywhere else you could find the evidence you need?

Can you tell us what the dispute is?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 20:11:28

I'm not sure what the SIP stuff has but anything on partnership with parents, attainment levels for SN children and on efficient use of resources will help and I would expect that all to be in there.

spanieleyes Wed 14-Sep-11 20:11:33

I would say no, it is an internal document which won't have any individual information on it and, quite honestly doesn't need even to exist anymore! I'm not even sure how you would know what the targets are, as the SEF was a working document and could be changed at any time. Nor was there any real rule about what was included ( and there certainly isn't now!) So any target you might be aware of might be there one term and not the next!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 20:13:40

Thank you Evil. I have ample evidence in terms of gov
guidelines, teachers code, county policy, but it would be helpful to use her own words too.

EvilTwins Wed 14-Sep-11 20:28:21

I would honestly be surprised if you found much of use to you on the SEF. Unless the school had chosen to make specific things targets for improvement, they wouldn't feature in that document.

prh47bridge Wed 14-Sep-11 20:47:13

Schools are subject to the Freedom of Information Act and therefore must either provide information requested or explain why they won't provide the information. Cases can be referred to the Information Commissioner for a ruling if necessary.

AbigailS Wed 14-Sep-11 21:12:59

SEFs have gone!

AbigailS Wed 14-Sep-11 21:15:05

On second thoughts I may be wrong it may be one of the other self evaluations.... brain dead already this term.

cricketballs Wed 14-Sep-11 22:49:15

as of this September schools are no longer required to complete a SEF.

from your posts though op; why would you want to discuss the SEF with head anyway? If you were so unhappy with the school then surely you would move your dc out?

DanFmDorking Thu 15-Sep-11 00:00:53

If, by SEF, you mean the ‘Self Evaluation Form’ then it doesn’t exist anymore.

Michael Gove got rid of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now