Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 SAT's. What's 'average'?

(12 Posts)
anklebitersmum Mon 12-Sep-11 13:57:26

After a lot of legal wrangling we have got my stepson's SAT's for year 7. Year 6 is still en-route but we're very worried and can't find anywhere that gives an average for yr7. Can anyone help shed some light or give me a few 'guesstimates' based on your own children? I'm not some over zealous interfering step-mum who expects the earth with a cherry on top, just a very worried one.

leicestershiregirl Mon 12-Sep-11 14:04:34

When I did SATs Level 4 was the average at the end of Key Stage 2 (primary) and Level 5 at the end of Key Stage 3 (11-14). Partner is a teacher so will double check with him and post on here later.

Not clear from your post what year your stepson is in?

titchy Mon 12-Sep-11 14:16:18

4a or 5c is what our school deems average for the end of year 7.

anklebitersmum Mon 12-Sep-11 14:39:15

hi, leicestershiregirl, thanks. SS is in year 8 now (just started) and sats are beyond awful, especially if you say on the same scoring standards a 4 is average for yr6 sad Any help/info/advice you or Hubby could offer would be very gratefully received.

anklebitersmum Mon 12-Sep-11 14:41:37

thank you titchy. much appreciated smile

IndigoBell Mon 12-Sep-11 14:45:28

Your DC should have made some progress from Y6.

In KS3 (which is 3 years) children are meant to make either 1 or 2 levels progress.

So that means they need to make 1 or 2 sub levels a year.

So if they were a 4 in Y6 they might well still be a 4 now.

If they're less than a 4 they might well be on the SEN register and you should be very concerned.

If they're a 5 now, then they're doing OK.

Malcontentinthemiddle Mon 12-Sep-11 14:47:17

Totally varies by subject. Anything 'new' (Geography, French etc) will be lower. Maths can go higher than anything else at Year 8 and 9, but I can't remember whether that's the case in year 7 as well.

anklebitersmum Mon 12-Sep-11 17:21:23

IndigoBell, thanks for your comment. I am extremely concerned, not least because his official SAT's from yr6 are proving hard to track down with both the primary and middle. The middle school's self-administered intake results show he's gone backwards from intake and he didn't have a great score then. So frustrating because he is capable of so much more with the right 'input'.

Erebus Mon 12-Sep-11 18:43:55

our school's expectations

Bear in mind this is the county in question's best academically performing state comp so it may not be representative!

Talker2010 Mon 12-Sep-11 18:47:38

Typical progress at KS3 might be
Y6 = 4c
Y7 = 4b
Y8 = 5c
Y9 = 5b

or
Y6 = 4a
Y7 = 5b
Y8 = 6c
Y9 = 6a

Average is between these 2

anklebitersmum Tue 13-Sep-11 09:25:51

Thanks everyone, knew there had to be a smaller sliding scale but wasn't sure what so that's really helpful. Hubby and I are arranging a trip to see the headmaster & head of year for as soon as humanly possible.

pastoralacademia Fri 30-Sep-11 14:43:31

Year 9 could go up to 8a
year 6 could go up to 5a
Average is in between these 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now