Talk

Advanced search

what does PT mean in piano lessons?

(9 Posts)
befuzzled Sat 10-Sep-11 19:08:26

does it mean working towards prep or level 1? and what is prep?

Ta

cupofteainpeace Sat 10-Sep-11 19:29:24

in what context?

purpleturtle Sat 10-Sep-11 19:31:16

Practice Time?

roisin Sat 10-Sep-11 20:20:10

Piano Time

roisin Sat 10-Sep-11 20:20:30

It's a large series of piano tutor books published by OUP music.

noteventhebestdrummer Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:40

Prep Test is a pre-Grade 1 assessment you can do which is a lovely, non-marked test where the kids prepare pieces and exercises and get a shiny certificate with comments from an examiner. It's held at the same places where the Grade exams happen and is abbreviated PT on the entry form, is this what is meant perhaps?

befuzzled Sat 10-Sep-11 20:36:09

yes I think that sounds right because some of the other older kids have got Level 1, 3, 4, 7 etc where he has PT. He is 6 just gone into Y2 and has been piano since January - does that sound right? How long after this PT (the teacher asked me to get the book for his first lesson next week) do they do grade 1?

AChickenCalledKorma Sat 10-Sep-11 21:34:52

DD1 did her Prep Test in May. It took about 10 minutes and she got a nice, shiny certificate that she is very proud of. Exactly like an exam, but friendlier and you can't fail!

She's now working towards Grade 1, which she will either do in November or February, depending whether she gets her finger out and does any practising how it goes.

noteventhebestdrummer Sat 10-Sep-11 21:58:45

Prep Test is aimed at kids in their first year or so of lessons. How long after till Grade 1? It's a piece of string really - reading needs to be sound for Grade 1, the Prep Test does not have any sight reading element. Pieces are a bit harder, not loads harder. Most of my Y3 violin students do Prep Test at the end of the first year and then Grade 1 a couple of terms later, not sure how different it is for piano. Y2 is pretty young for piano so may take a while - depends on practice and co-ordination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now