Talk

Advanced search

Quaker education?

(16 Posts)
Busybee21 Mon 29-Aug-11 14:18:52

Secondary school is a very long way off for my DC, but has anyone had any experiences (positive or negative) of quaker education? I'm trying to get different points of views on different types of schooling that may be suitable for my children. How do quaker schools differ from mainstream schools for example?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:10:49

THe only Quaker I have experience of is in New York
but have a look here
www.aquakereducation.co.uk/

michglas Mon 29-Aug-11 19:14:03

I went to a quaker school in North Yorkshire, it was lovely. Small classes, really peaceful atmosphere. It was all about thinking of others, respecting other people's faiths and opinions. It was definitely much better than mainstream, but sadly there aren't any in Scotland for my girls to attend.

curlwur200 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:29:08

michglas would you mind saying which school you attended? Because I have heard great things about Bootham School in York

INeedALieIn Mon 29-Aug-11 23:03:09

I attended a Quaker Senior school. I don't come from a particularly religious family and yet I loved every minute of this school and would highly recommend people take a look.

crazymum53 Tue 30-Aug-11 09:30:26

Sidcot school near Cheddar is a Quaker school which I believe has places for boarders. It seems to have a good reputation but don't know anyone who goes there personally.

motherinferior Tue 30-Aug-11 09:32:55

My partner went to a Quaker boarding school. He liked it.

orienteerer Tue 30-Aug-11 21:01:32

No personal experience but have friends (not Quaker) who send dc to Leighton Park and are very happy. Only "difference" I'm aware of is that all teachers are called by christian name.

SeaweedNK Tue 30-Aug-11 22:11:00

There is a Quaker primary and secondary in Saffron Waldon Essex (Friends School). I have a friend whose youngest DS goes there and thrives at this school having had issues in mainstream schools.

chill1243 Wed 31-Aug-11 12:49:38

Well its a landslide vote for the Quaker schools. Perhaps we need more of them. ( I am resisting OATS jokes.)

Pinky04 Thu 01-Sep-11 21:54:59

I attended a Quaker School in West Yorkshire as a day pupil, although it was predominantly boarding then, but I think the balance has switched the other way now. Overall, I think it was a good environment, and as others have said, it provided a relaxed supportive environment. They are tolerant of other religions, and the majority attending were not Quakers. The only real difference is that the Quaker worship is based on silent contemplation, so each day had a few minutes silence built into it. But morning assemblies also had teacher led readings/presentations on a diverse range of topics and themes. Other than that, teaching, curriculum and extra-curricula activities were, and I assume still are, pretty similar to all other independent schools (except they didn't / don't have a cadet corp).
If there were a local Quaker school, I wouldn't hesitate to consider it for my children.

roisin Thu 01-Sep-11 22:09:44

I went to a Quaker school and loved it - fantastic experience.
My school wasn't particularly academic (though I achieved very high grades). I think some of the Quaker schools are now much more academically driven. I'm thinking of the York schools anyway.

lardprao Thu 01-Sep-11 23:16:03

I teach in a Quaker school and would add that there is a caring ethos and one where the individual child is always considered. I am C of E but it has changed my outlook on many things.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 01-Sep-11 23:21:24

I went to a Quaker school in northern Ireland and it was fine. We had assembly every morning that ended in silent prayer, and there was a Christian ethos but beyond that there wasn't anything hugely unusual.

chill1243 Sat 03-Sep-11 15:06:44

A lot of high praise for Quaker schools. It makes me wish I had attended one

I will be singing their praises in future. Nice to have something to say nice things about. Thanks

DejaWho Sat 03-Sep-11 22:28:39

I worked at one of the Quaker boarding schools (not one of the York ones) for a couple of years prior to going into teaching (as boarding house/library staff). Fantastic place to be - I would go back and work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't live at the other end of the country - some of the most amazing colleagues I learnt so much from, and some of the most amazing kids I also learnt so much from and just a phenomenally caring atmosphere about the entire place - a really really special school. Also with a phenomenally good performing and creative arts department as well.

I have a LOT of respect for the religion because of working there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now