Talk

Advanced search

OK, so who'll be first to offer a 'Degree in 18 months' course? Or do they already?

(9 Posts)
Erebus Fri 19-Aug-11 12:06:04

To be quite honest I am always rather hmm about the minimal 'contact time' British universities give their now fee-paying students. Why don't they complain?

I am also sometimes a bit hmm at work as a HCP when degree qualified colleagues (it became a degree 10 or so years ago) imply they have had more training than me as I did a 2 1/4 year Diploma BUT mine was 9-5, 5 days a week, 45 weeks a year. OK, half of the time was 'pract(ical)' actually doing and learning the 'hands-on' in a clinical setting but my degree qualified colleagues speak of 8 or so contact hours a week! OK, I also concede that their degrees contain rather more 'padding' than my course which was more nitty-gritty, thus they have to go and spend ages trawling the internet for essay material so yes, the style of the training has changed but even so, 8 hours a week?? Most also did a part time job in 'office hours'.

Seeing as I know my what is essentially practical and vocational career is now a degree, I know that there are hundreds of similar lines of study which are also now degree courses which maybe shouldn't be but hey, that's the way it is, so maybe I'd differentiate those courses away from the more trad. courses where hours of library-bound contemplation and genuine original thought still is required and say, how about a course where you're there 45 weeks a year with all your contact time packed in accordingly?

Wouldn't you say you'd be able to do most undergrad degrees in 1 1/2 years that way? And save a fortune on living expenses during that time? Many might say that university is about more than just getting a degree but our government is evidently not interested in that facet, and, let's face it, how many of us really think that extended 'dreaming spires' time is worth a £50k debt? That's almost imprudent! FWIW I also think that whilst right now, mortgage companies won't be looking at student debt as a barrier to lending, I'd bet anything that'll change, just as soon as the wind changes direction!

spanieleyes Fri 19-Aug-11 12:49:44

I completely agree! Eldest son is currently at University-in theory! However he has been home since 9th May and is not due back until 4th October! Even when AT university, he has every Thursday completely free and a grand total of 16 hours of lectures a week-and this in his first year. Apparently this reduces next! Even with "Independent study" you could certainly complete a degree course in half the time!

cat64 Fri 19-Aug-11 12:59:38

Message withdrawn

Erebus Fri 19-Aug-11 13:48:31

Yes, I imagine someone will see a business opportunity- I'd go for it if it was the difference between getting a degree or not!

I actually think some universities will be shooting themselves in the foot via these high fees. I would hope there would be some sort of groundswell of discontent about the quality of some of the courses on offer, and several will have to up their game if they want to go on attracting students to £9000 a year courses. Also, I suspect the 30 odd weeks a year of work that lecturers currently do will change anyway if DCs start flocking to the 18 month degree universities. The lecturers may have to follow the money. But that's OK, that's just the way things develop. Canny lecturers should be setting up the accelerated courses!

Erebus Fri 19-Aug-11 13:54:12

I recall reading somewhere a couple of years ago about how an Indian national who was paying for his brother to attend an English uni successfully sued the university for breach of contract as his brother got a derisory amount of contact time in vastly over-packed lecture halls. Ex-poly, fwiw. He challenged what exactly he was paying for and won!

Hope we see more of that; sadly, Mr Blair's ridiculous 'university for all' agenda has saddled the country with dozens of barely adequate 'universities' turning out students with useless degrees (and employers 'demanding' degrees for entry level in just about any career path, because they can).

LovetheHarp Fri 19-Aug-11 18:06:34

I agree!
There's already been talk of private universities in the media, so I am sure that trend will continue - this is after all, this government's not-so-hidden agenda: privatisation! I think we'll see massive change because of the rise of fees...I predict:
- Many ex-polies closing down
- Many universities also sizing down
- Many more children studying near their home town (ie commuting)
- A huge downfall of some towns that rely almost entirely on students (shops, bars, landlords, etc)
- A surge in private universities
- A surge in doing degrees abroad

seimum Fri 19-Aug-11 18:57:20

The university of Buckingham already offers 2-year degrees as standard.

It is a private university that has been around for some time

mrz Fri 19-Aug-11 19:38:25

sadly, Mr Blair's ridiculous 'university for all' agenda has saddled the country with dozens of barely adequate 'universities' turning out students with useless degrees (and employers 'demanding' degrees for entry level in just about any career path, because they can)
and has it improved standards? ...erm that would be no

sue52 Sat 20-Aug-11 13:59:14

As seimum says the University of Buckingham has a good reputation and as it's degrees are only 2 years, the living costs are lower. It only offers useful degrees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now