Talk

Advanced search

Atlantic College - IB and dyslexia

(6 Posts)
Jenmumof3 Thu 18-Aug-11 23:51:51

Help! my son is due to start at Atlantic College this term and I'm freaking out. He's v keen to go but he's dyslexic and they study the IB there. I know he'd be fine with A Levels as he'd only have to study stuff he excels at but the thought of him struggling on with English, French and Maths which were a real effort for him at GCSE is making me worried (especially as I won't be there to get him extra help if he needs it)... though I LOVE the ethos I'm worried - anyone got any advice?

Kladdkaka Fri 19-Aug-11 10:02:17

There are all sorts of adjustments that the IBO allow for children with learning difficulties, for example extra time in exams. The application for approval has to go in quite early. Make sure he speaks to the co-ordinator at his college about getting the right support.

Jenmumof3 Fri 19-Aug-11 11:21:22

Thanks so much will do. Guess I'm really struggling with putting my belief in a holistic education ahead of maximising grades .... especially with all the headlines re university places!!

Kladdkaka Fri 19-Aug-11 12:13:59

Are you aware that you can get higher grades on the IB that you can with A-levels? 3 A-levels is equivalent to 38-40 points on the IB, but the max you can get on the IB is 45. So if you struggle in one area, you can make it up by excelling in another.

Normally with the IB you do 3 subjects at the normal level and 3 subjects at the higher level. My daughter's school also offers maths at a lower level for those who will struggle with it. That's what she does as she's completely rubbish at maths. Despite this she's still predicted to get 38 points and she is autistic with all sorts of learning issues.

I am very pleased with the IB course.

Kladdkaka Fri 19-Aug-11 12:14:57

Sorry, forgot 3 A grade A-levels is equivalent to 38-40 points on the IB.

Juniper21 Mon 22-Aug-11 17:12:34

My son took IGCSEs this summer at one of the UWC group of schools & will be starting IB next month. He has chosen his strongest subjects for the 3 higher and weaker for the 3 lower level. A friend's daughter took the IB at the same school this summer, received good results and is due to start at her firm Uni choice. She was never a strong student but the IB style of studying seemed to really suit her which I'm hoping will be the same for my son, as he's not a particularly academic boy. I've been told that IB is a much better preparation for University as it involves more self study, rather than learning facts iykwim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now