Talk

Advanced search

Teacher training options

(13 Posts)
purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 13:59:28

I currently work in a low-paid role, which is so boring it's actually hindering my recovery from PTSD shock

I've just been abroad for a week with 6 teenagers (youth club trip) so i know I can handle higher stress levels. After years of people telling me I'd be good at it, I'm finally considering a PGCE in Secondary Music.

My question is: Would it be better to spend one year at my highly respected local uni, with DP supporting me fully (ie value beans and no long trips to see mates) having given up work, or try to keep working (bear in mind the pittance and boredom) and go through the OU?

I'll ring up the whoever people next week to find out what I'm entitled to. If I can get my tuition fees paid and a contribution to the mortgage/bills, hopefully we'll be in a position to go ahead.

I have six years experience in SEN, so a year or two of hardship will have financial rewards later...

mrz Sun 14-Aug-11 16:19:15

If you already have a music qualification a GTP might be an option
www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/what-are-my-options/ways-of-getting-into-teaching.aspx

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 16:28:42

Oops, yes my undergraduate degree is in music blush

Thank you. I did interview (and teach a lesson) for a job at a local secondary for a position which would have put me through the GTP but they never got back to me angry (that was a year or so ago)

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 16:32:14

Even better, one of the providers on my local GTP list is the uni I was considering applying to grin

noblegiraffe Sun 14-Aug-11 18:26:01

Check out the job situation in your area on the TES website. I don't know how many music teaching jobs there are around but I know my school has laid off a load of teachers this year and that's not unusual because of budget cuts.

They appear to still be training teachers even though there aren't enough jobs for them.

mrz Sun 14-Aug-11 18:28:15

Have you considered Peripatetic Music teaching?

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 19:00:45

I'm having that conversation with a mate on FB, noble - too many teachers, not enough lessons sad I'll check it out, thank you

I did that through uni and for a year afterwards, i'm not good at being my own boss and hate not knowing if the mortgage will be paid each month!

mrz Sun 14-Aug-11 19:02:54

My LA runs a music service and employs teachers to work with schools throughout the county

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 20:34:55

Yeah, I've managed to fail three interviews for that sad

Well, it's done - my local were saying they've got vacancies so i filled in the form and submitted it a few minutes ago shock

IndigoBell Mon 15-Aug-11 06:25:54

Congratulations Purple! Really pleased for you.

Have you applied for a PGCE? For this Sep or next Sep?

purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 07:01:45

The starting next month one blush I figure I can just reapply in November for next year blush

OMG what's my boss going to say? I've been on holiday for three weeks!!!

(I'm clever with my shifts, I don't get a stupid amount of days off or anything)

IndigoBell Mon 15-Aug-11 08:45:43

Good luck.

Your boss will be really pleased for you.

purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 09:22:58

Thank you <eek>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now