Talk

Advanced search

How do you teach a child to read?

(14 Posts)
2catsand1rabbit Wed 10-Aug-11 15:00:29

Hi, my son knows all the letters of the alphabet (phonetically), what's the next step? He's nearly 3 years old. I know it's young but he keeps asking me what words say and seems really keen. Any suggestions? x

IndigoBell Wed 10-Aug-11 15:21:46

Teach him to blend so that he can read regular CVC words (Consonant Vowel Consonant )

cat, bed, top... etc

He has to say each sound, and then say them a big faster until he can hear the word......

sarahfreck Wed 10-Aug-11 16:06:36

Have a look at Starfall www.starfall.com/ for some good online and printable activities - the "learn to read" section should be about right. It does have a N American accent though!

maverick Wed 10-Aug-11 17:43:23

Have a look at this video clip:

Ruth Miskin - How to Teach Children to Read

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo9Y1OYC3UQ

2catsand1rabbit Thu 11-Aug-11 07:18:34

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I've had a look at the videos and think I will buy some flash cards x

2catsand1rabbit Thu 11-Aug-11 07:31:30

I've just had a play on the Starfall website, it's great!

MrsOlf Thu 11-Aug-11 07:34:38

Try the alphablocks part of the CBeebies website too. The v short programmes are there and some games too.

DilysPrice Thu 11-Aug-11 07:57:22

If he's keen then I'd slip it into everyday life - read up a bit on phonics, and then when he asks you what a word is then explain it in a phonically correct way. While you're reading bedtime stories if you come across a big exciting phonically decodable word (title, sound effect, speech bubble) and the moment seems right then you could ask him to spell it out and then you can blend it together for him.

And I swear by the old Ladybird phonics books which are funny and take you through all the basic sounds (they're not for the child to read themselves, but they introduce the various spellings of the different phonemes).

Poshbaggirl Thu 11-Aug-11 07:58:20

Just get lots of simple books (charity shops and car boots -10p each) and sit and look at them, read them and enjoy. Put your finger under the words as you go and ask him to see if he can find another 'it' or 'and' it's all about recognition of word shapes and repitition. Make up your own games. Put the words he knows on the fridge. Just get involved with books in anyway which feels fun. Always bedtime stories too! He'll start to have favourite books, read them as many times as he likes. Talk about whats in the pictures, as that is the clue to what the text says. His enjoyment of the books will lead to a curiosity of what the words are. smile

Poshbaggirl Thu 11-Aug-11 08:00:47

My feeling is not to use websites. A big box or shelf of books is more accessible for a child to help themselves to.

mrz Thu 11-Aug-11 08:07:36

Whether you use books or websites do the activity with him

biddyofsuburbia Thu 11-Aug-11 08:14:40

What about a simple 'alphabet' poster with pictures/ words for each letter. DD used to spend ages in front of hers 'reading' & trying to sound out & then blend the words.

2catsand1rabbit Fri 12-Aug-11 10:41:58

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone x

PattySimcox Fri 12-Aug-11 10:46:00

A lot of schools seem to use jolly phonics these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now