Talk

Advanced search

CD-Rom for the Cambridge Latin Course

(13 Posts)
ZZZenAgain Wed 10-Aug-11 09:58:26

is anyone's dc using the CD-Rom for the Cambridge Latin Course? If so, could you tell me how old your dc is and how they are getting on with it? I am thinking of getting it for dd (has some Latin already) but not sure if it is the right thing for her. Saw the demonstration video on the website but not sure if dd would really use it/get on with it.

Any experiences?

TalkinPeace2 Fri 12-Aug-11 20:19:32

DD is doing the course at school (comp) so I don't know about the CD

roisin Mon 15-Aug-11 11:41:16

ds1 is also doing the course at school (comp), but they are using textbooks + teacher, not CD Rom.

ZZZenAgain Mon 15-Aug-11 12:47:35

Hi there, thanks you two, yes, it is a popular course at schools I know. Dd is using GP at school but I saw something about the Cambridge cd-rom online and I liked the sound of it being interactive and with the videos etc. She is big on Rome atm, I even get addressed with fluctuating Roman names all the time so I thought she might like to mess about with that CD-rom. However, I am just wondering if dc like it (she's 10). Not sure if she would use it or not.

Hmm undecided.

ZZZenAgain Mon 15-Aug-11 12:49:05

I'll have a look at the books

TalkinPeace2 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:47:14

In the mean time,
DD had great fun with this when she was 10

TalkinPeace2 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:48:04

d'oh - forgot link
www.amazon.co.uk/Latin-Beginners-Usborne-Language-Guides/dp/0746016387

ZZZenAgain Mon 15-Aug-11 14:15:54

now I have actually checked it out properly I see the cd-rom is for the beginner's Latin course so it isn't what I thought. Dd is already pretty advanced just dead keen so I was looking for something additional to play around with.

Yes, I've seen those before talking peace for other languages.

Hmm was attracted to the whole multi-media aspect. Dd reads a lot as it is... Never mind.

Thanks anyway everyone.

GrendelsMum Mon 15-Aug-11 17:10:30

There's quite a lot of the CLC online for free - has she had a look at these bits? I'm not sure the videos are online, though.

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Lpage.php?p=clc^oa_intro^intro

ZZZenAgain Tue 16-Aug-11 10:10:18

I've had a gander round their site now and I think the cd-rom looks great but I realise now(should have investigated berfore the thread) that it is simply a teaching tool for the beginner's course so not something for dd after all. She's much further than that and I was really looking at some kind of fun extra IYSWIM (play around with Latin kind of thing)... Thanks though grendel.

GrendelsMum Tue 16-Aug-11 11:37:37

I know the CLC team, so I'm trying to think of what they've got that's suitable. There's a nice online reader that some colleagues made for the undergraduate ab-initio Latin course, but I can't remember whether it's publicly available, or the name (called something like Thetis etc). It may still be too advanced.

I think the CLC people have branched out into Greek as well, so your daughter could also learn Greek.

You could also just email the CLC people for advice - they're very nice, if rather busy at this time of year.

ZZZenAgain Mon 22-Aug-11 14:22:22

Hi Grendel, sorry haven't been around so haven't responded before. Yes, I'll keep that in mind and contac t them if I don't find anything, see what they recommend. Take your point and I'll make a note to do it later on in the academic year.

Don't want too advanced reading material, take the fun out of it. She has some (heavily Catholic Latin primers) which she has read but I was thinking more along the lines of non-reading material as a change.

You've been very helpful and I'll look into it a bit and if I find any interesting audio or screen aids, I'll report back Thanks

littlebluespring Mon 22-Aug-11 15:04:38

Sorry to derail a bit, but I wanted to ask a question about the CLC. I have heard that CLC is not very good for grammar. DS is doing CLC at school and intends to carry on to GCSE latin. Can anybody recommend some grammar books or resources? He has only been doing it for one year so he would want a fairly basic guide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now