Talk

Advanced search

4+ private school assessments

(6 Posts)
mumteacher Sun 07-Aug-11 09:27:53

Does tutoring for primary private school assessments raise the benchmark so much so that it disadvantages those children who aren't.

I'm not saying it does just like to know what people think.

LIZS Sun 07-Aug-11 17:01:16

Do you mean in terms of the point of entry or as a long term benefit ? tbh I think it is fairly obvious when kids are being tutored and if it is aimed at passing a specific exam or assessment it may not be an advantage longer term as other children may well catch them up.

mrz Sun 07-Aug-11 17:13:41

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1273630-4-private-school-assessments

2stressed Tue 13-Sep-11 10:12:41

For the purpose of assessment yes maybe but like you say lizs maybe not in the long run.

However were on the other side for this discussion as are currently having our dd tutored for assessments!!

horsemadmom Wed 14-Sep-11 12:28:38

Waste of money. Seriously.
The schools will find you out and then they might- might!- take your child in spite of the tutoring and would have done so without it. If you are doing the 7+ from a state school, then tutoring is necessary. 4+ it's just putting money in someone's pocket that you could have banked for fees.

Milkshake3 Wed 14-Sep-11 13:44:23

I can't believe schools assess at 4. How depressing!! Children should be running around being children not being hothoused by a tutor before they can read and write. There are so many good non selective schools! There's plenty of time for tutoring (ha ha) later on for 7+/8+/11+/13+ etc. Agree with horsemadmom!

Good luck with your choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now