Advanced search

Please can anyone recommend any books for an adult doing Maths GCSE? And is better to go for higher or foundation tier?

(24 Posts)
pipkin35 Wed 03-Aug-11 10:58:36

...never got Maths GCSE and have real problems with all things maths related.

I have looked at GCSE level secondary school books and there seem to be hundreds of different ones.

Can anyone help with books or resources, I have a huge fear/phobia of number related issues!

And I know that there are 2 teirs - A-C higher and C-D foundation but which would be better to take? Is it 'easier' to gain a C at the higher teir level rather than the foundation level IYKWIM?

ninah Wed 03-Aug-11 11:05:03

what exam board? edexcel 4 speed revision textbook worked for me
I went to an evening course at college and it was fab, I started off as a foundation student and it made sense for me for the first time in my life so I ended up going for the higher in the end, I think we had to decide about January time. Depends what you want it for, a C might be enough ... I needed it for teaching
take it a session at a time and don't panic. I took maths 4 times in the days when it was 'O levels' and this was my fifth go!

ReadyToDrink Wed 03-Aug-11 11:08:57

I don't know about books, but as I understand it a C will be easier to achieve at foundation tier, because you don't get 'confused' by extra things - everything you learn will be relevant to that C instead of wasting time on the higher grades. It depends exactly what you need it for, but if you're feeling phobic about things, I'd suggest starting at the foundation tier & seeing how it goes. You can always swap to the higher tier if it's going well smile

ninah Wed 03-Aug-11 11:10:58

there was a cd with the book that was good, too
do a practice session each week on the topic you've covered, little and often

stardustn Thu 04-Aug-11 13:42:04

I would also recommend starting at Foundation level and seeing how it goes smile
I find that the CGP books are brilliant- they take you through things clearly and have a whole range of helpful books- revision guides, workbooks, practice papers, etc, and there's also a book that takes you through everything required for a D grade and below which could be useful to start and make sure you have all the basics before moving on to the material for a C. I'd recommend an exam-board specific one:

Good luck smile

cyb Thu 04-Aug-11 13:47:21

I just took my GCSE in Biology and found out what exam board I was sitting it with, and used their revision notes. there are LOTS of online tests you can do too, BBC Bitesize is broken down into separate exam boards as awell

Keep googling the bits you dont understand! And test yourself A LOT

SophistyG Tue 23-Aug-11 14:35:45

there's a part called numbers as well as lessons for all other school maths.
numbers is a greta cover of fractions, percentages, ratios etc etc and because it's done from the very beginning but nit in baby talk is great for adults wanting to either refresh or start from the beginning and find where they have a knowledge or skills gap. Short animated lessons completely on the maths gets you through a lot.
Can't believe this is the second time today I've recommended them! Will be onto them for some freebies

TalkinPeace2 Tue 23-Aug-11 17:02:39

TwinkleTops Tue 23-Aug-11 19:14:39

1. In general, it is easier to get a grade C in higher GCSE rather than a grade C in a GCSE foundation paper.

2. As you said there are loads of different books. Initially try some out from a library. If you plan to attend classes, then also get the recommened text. As mentioned above, the CGP books can be very good, but the main thing is that you find the book helps you. As we all learn differently, most people require a couple of different books - so get a pile of them from a library.

3. One online teaching tool is it is not free but they do have lots of free samples you can see how they teach and if it may suit you.

4. Another online solution is [[]]. It is totally free for at least 2 weeks when you use the promo code 1023. It uses short maths video lessons but also has thousands of practise questions and real past exam papers. This service also allows you to be taught one-to-one by a real UK qualified Maths teacher, via an interactive whiteboard. It follows a syllabus, but also has a facility that gives you weekly spot tests to do so that you are contantly revising the complete sylabus, and an additional facility that allows you to choose what are you want to study. It has lessons for both the GCSE higher and foundation papers plus KS1, KS2 and KS3. You get access to all the lessons, GCSE past papers, SATS test and the one-to-one qualifed teacher support. The teachers can also advise you on things like study skills and exam technique and from the results of any of the online tests, what GCSE examination may best suitable for you.

PonceyMcPonce Thu 25-Aug-11 16:09:14

If you need a c, then def try the higher tier.

Will you be self taught or will you have lessons?
If lessons, they will have probably have a favoured board. Or centre that accepts independent candidates will probably agree to enter you for any board.

Good luck!

RudiBallOut Thu 11-Apr-13 19:03:39

I think anyone who wants a C should definitely do Higher Tier. You need around 33% in a Higher Tier paper to get a C, and around 80% in the Foundation Tier paper to get a C.

I've found loads of helpful things on

They've got answers to past papers and summary notes and everything, the other sites have all been really confusing...or maybe it's just a very long time since I last did maths!!

Startail Mon 15-Apr-13 12:28:59

DD1 also swears by CGP books.

The main thing with Maths is practice, it really is the one subject where homework pays off.

mnistooaddictive Mon 15-Apr-13 19:39:03

I would do foundation tier - higher has trigonometry, simultaneous equations, etc etc which will confuse you. Any book is fine - choose one you like the look of!
Or you can use books online -

Startail Tue 16-Apr-13 00:04:56

I think which tier depends on what you want the maths for.

If you simply need a C for your career or to get on a course then you might want to play safe and do the foundation.

If you want to learn maths to make yourself feel you've really overcome your fear and achieved something then you might want to do the hirer tier.

anyway trig is fun, simultaneous equations aren't.

sashh Tue 16-Apr-13 07:14:19

Go for foundation.

Do you need GCSE or would a Level 2 numeracy qualification do?

beachyhead Tue 16-Apr-13 07:22:22

Don't do the IGCSE course... If you want a higher rather than Foundation, look at the AQA Board.

noblegiraffe Tue 16-Apr-13 07:29:55

Old thread! Hopefully the OP has her GCSE now smile

beachyhead Tue 16-Apr-13 08:05:33

How does that happen???grin

Trillz Tue 16-Apr-13 08:11:18

Rudi can I ask why you decided to give advice to someone who asked the question nearly 2 years ago?

Startail Wed 17-Apr-13 01:39:34

because some of us aren't as perfect as you trillz, we don't always check.

Trillz Wed 17-Apr-13 08:17:29

It's not about checking, more about how you came across the thread in the first place.

I can totally understand wanting advice, searching for a thread on the same topic, and posting on it without checking the date.

But how do you come across a thread like this, where you aren't looking for advice for yourself? I know people say that topics outside of AIBU are dead but they're not SO dead that you'll accidentally hit on a 2 year old thread.

Startail Wed 17-Apr-13 13:58:59

Search is barking, I put in Ofsted.
10th post down is 2008!!!!

jlee1 Sat 30-Nov-13 12:43:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Tia1973 Fri 29-Apr-16 19:07:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now