Talk

Advanced search

University Degree

(12 Posts)
scattybird76 Wed 03-Aug-11 10:56:44

Hi!
My little boy in one and I am about to go back to work part time. However I have the option to study a degree (40 mins away by car) and I was wondering if anyone else had done this with a small baby and how they found it with all the course work etc?

TalkinPeace2 Wed 03-Aug-11 15:33:11

depends on the subject

scattybird76 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:54:49

Its a Social work course so has 100 days placement in the 2nd and 3rd year. Am worried Im never going to see him!!

said Wed 03-Aug-11 20:56:45

Is this as well as or instead of working?

scattybird76 Thu 04-Aug-11 11:49:08

No instead of working.. Work have allowed me back 3 days per week so I would have to leave completly.am worried I will be compromising my time with Joel at such a young age if I go with the degree. However I will have finished it by the time he starts school. ????? help!

belledechocchipcookie Thu 04-Aug-11 11:52:33

Check the dates and the times of the lectures, they are usually not mon-fri 9-5, some days you will only be in the Uni for 2 hours. You will be expected to do placements though so the times of these will vary. Look into it, I started a law degree when my son was 2, it wasn't too bad. Forget housework though smile

scattybird76 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:08:10

The placements are 9-5 in year 2 and 3 for around 5 months. I think thats whats bothering me the most. If I could defer by a year I would (I dont have this option as have already defered it a year). How did you find doing all the assignments around little one?

belledechocchipcookie Thu 04-Aug-11 13:11:59

Assignments were OK. There's plenty of study time during the weekdays when there's no lectures, I'm not good at time management though and it's not wise to leave them until the last minute, especially when you have a child because they can become unwell so you don't have the time to finish them properly. It really helps to start the assignments as soon as you get them, even if it's just research. You also have evenings free, I used to do a lot of study when he was in bed (oh, the times before the internet and mumsnet grin). Some courses are more child friendly then others, Social Work is a bursaried course IIRC, they really don't like you taking time off.

scattybird76 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:15:21

What did you study and how old was your little one? I am also really bad at time management

belledechocchipcookie Thu 04-Aug-11 13:31:43

Ds was 2 when I started a law degree, 6 when I started a nursing course. The shifts were a nightmare and I'm a single mother so I changed to a radiography degree, he was 9 then. It was hard work, very physically demanding and I became too unwell to continue.

Use a wall chart, write on when the assignments are due and do them little by little. smile You never know what you can do until you try.

scattybird76 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:52:30

That is true! I am also a single mother and I guess I am worries about missing out on his early years! But then on the hand I will have a degree by the time he starts school.. Thanks for all your advice smile

belledechocchipcookie Thu 04-Aug-11 14:07:41

You'll have holidays off uni also which often match the school holidays. Best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now