Talk

Advanced search

Good school twenty minutes away or fab school 45 mins away?

(10 Posts)
emkana Sat 30-Jul-11 22:34:31

Looking at schools for dd, starting secondary in September 12. They are both girls grammar schools. Dd absolutely loved the one and was fine with the other.

HarrietJones Sat 30-Jul-11 22:39:15

Is that walking? If you plan to take her 45 mins is a lot each time

emkana Sat 30-Jul-11 22:40:24

It's on a bus and a bit of walking.

HarrietJones Sat 30-Jul-11 22:43:24

So she would be taking herself? Does she realise how long the journey is? Will many others be travelling with her ? 45 mins after school could eat into social time quite a bit unless her friends are all there too!

ragged Sun 31-Jul-11 04:27:10

45 min. is not too far, assuming that is door to door & that if you needed to drive around you could do it in a bit less time.

Which school did she love & which one has higher homework demands?

breadandbutterfly Sun 31-Jul-11 08:10:51

Fab school, obviously. Maybe move nearer? wink

NotEnoughTime Sun 31-Jul-11 08:51:14

I personally dont think 45 mins is too far to travel for secondary (if it was primary I would definetly say too far).

I thnk HarrietJones makes a good point ie any of her friends travelling with her etc.

Why not do the journey a couple of times and see what she thinks then?

HTH.

threefeethighandrising Sun 31-Jul-11 08:57:32

Fab school definitely!

Having always gone to school (even primary) at least 45 minutes away the only downside is not living near your mates but you can help make sure that's not too much of an issue by encouraging her to have her new mates over fairly regularly. The journey itself was never a problem for me you just get used to it.

seeker Sun 31-Jul-11 09:02:07

My dd travels annhournto her secondary school. It was her choice, butnif in had myntime over I think I would trynreally hard to persuade her to go to the nearer one. It's not just the getting therenand backnon normalndays, it's thentime shenhasto staynlate for something,nthentimes whennthe bus is late or cancelled, the getting home from parties.... It can be a real hassle.

And her best friend lives nearly an hour's journey on the other side of the school -so meeting up at the weekend is a nightmare!

Southernisle Sun 31-Jul-11 10:07:33

My secondary school child lives 20 mins away from school by car, but via public transport it takes 1hr 15 mins. They love it, they take hot chocolate in a flask, there is a real social atmosphere on the bus/train.

They didn't have any friends travelling with them, but what's nice now is the social circle is wider, and travelling friends are not the same as class friends.

Now in year 10, and still enjoy the journey every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now