Talk

Advanced search

Info on HCS, Romsey

(12 Posts)
bamboo2 Sun 17-Jul-11 14:21:56

Hi - we are looking at HCS for our children (secondary level) - anyone with kids there? Are you happy with the school? How much homework do the kids realistically get?

Any info would be great.

Chandon Sun 17-Jul-11 14:33:15

Hampshire Collegiate?

I have heard it is good, would consider it for my DC but not been to visit (yet).

Heard their SATs this year were not great though, but maybe that's just gossip.

doglover Sun 17-Jul-11 14:59:16

Nearly all the very academic children go elsewhere for secondary schooling eg King Edwards, Salisbury grammars etc. Depends what you're looking for!!

bamboo2 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:34:05

Thanks for the info. Was looking for good all round - 3 kids. 2 reasonably bright and 1 more average ability.

doglover Sun 17-Jul-11 21:32:36

Definitely worth investigating if you're looking for a range of ability.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 18-Jul-11 17:47:07

HCS is still climbing up academically from the merger of Atherley and Embley.
The very bright private school kids do tend to go to KES
BUT
The state schools in Romsey are better than HCS academically.
The main reason it survives is all the parents from the Waterside who are "limited" on their choice of schools.
DDs year at the comp includes around 10 kids who left HCS at year 7 - both for money and academic reasons.
HCS kids are polite and friendly and not nearly as precious as Sherbourne House!
Quite a few leave to go to 6th form at Peter Symonds.

Erebus Tue 19-Jul-11 08:50:50

TalkinPeace- when you say 'waterside', where do you mean? I am merely curious! Initially I thought you meant the Test Valley but I guess you mean around the north end of the Solent?

I'd agree about the Romsey comps, esp MB. we looked at it for DS1 and I liked it but he's now at Thornden.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 19-Jul-11 12:27:16

Erebus
Marchwood / Hythe / Fawley
there is a very good school, some tolerable ones and a couple of pretty dire ones
all within easy reach of lots of nice yacht moorings!

Erebus Tue 19-Jul-11 12:37:51

Oh I see!

Blimey, I can remember when those places, tainted with the constant background smell of petroleum were considered gruesome! When Hounsdown pipped Testwood in the direness of secondary education!

How things change!

doglover Tue 19-Jul-11 18:34:39

Hounsdown is the 'very good' school now!! The Hythe/Fawley/Totton ones are pretty mediocre - we have several friends who send their children to HCS to avoid them!

Erebus Tue 19-Jul-11 20:04:14

Yes, I see how 'Hounsdown catchment' now feature in EA blurb!

TalkinPeace2 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:52:32

doglover is absolutely correct !
I won't name the others - but DH just about charges danger money for one after having kit nicked there years ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now