Talk

Advanced search

BBC TV 10.35pm Filming inside leicestershire school. (thursday) Not impressed.

(17 Posts)
robingood19 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:59:52

But I will let you experts have a say first. Thanks

GypsyMoth Fri 15-Jul-11 10:01:07

Filming what? Why?

yousankmybattleship Fri 15-Jul-11 10:01:33

What's your point? Don't uderstand?

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 15-Jul-11 10:03:49

?

MollieO Fri 15-Jul-11 10:07:24

If you mean Classroom Secrets there is already a thread on this. Made me very greatful for the school ds is at. Having said that, weirdly, I don't think it is acceptable for an 8/9 age child to stay up until 11 at weekends watching tv with lots of swearing and then going on Youtube and picking out inappropriate videos. I also didn't think it was acceptable for the HT to blame a child who was keen to learn for other children picking on him. That made me angry and sad in equal measure. If I was one of that school's governors I'd be looking for a new HT.

Kora Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:14

I'm not an expert, but ditto not very impressed. Overall seemed "nice" kids, fairly normal behaviour etc, but I found a few of the teaching methods bizarre.

Like sitting the really studious well-behaved kid next to the disruptive one without monitoring what happened next, as if that would magically make a difference. Is this normal teaching methodology?

I wondered what the parents of the well-behaved one would have to say about that, but they weren't shown the video of their (rather resilient) son trying to work with a rolled up tube of paper tapping him (not violently, but very annoyingly) on the head over and over again. Seemed unfair to make the well-behaved one "cope" with the distraction when they could be improving their own work, and imagine going in every day to that. At the end, the teacher quietly said that she was going to keep a closer eye on the effect on children around the disruptive ones, and not just the kid who had been identified as needing support. About time too.

Would venture that if teachers are going to try this, they need to properly supervise to ensure they're not making a bad situation worse by distracting another child from working too (and making them miserable in the process)...

robingood19 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:32

To be fair the filmers had an agenda. (naughty children) and it was NOT secret filming which would have been more informative,

Did that school on that evidence deserve a "GOOD" report which it got.

To what extent were the children and teachers playing to the cameras.?

Tired children was responsibility of parents.

MollieO Fri 15-Jul-11 10:16:06

I thought the attitudes of Maisie's parents and James' mother beggared belief.

robingood19 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:26:16

Teaching is partly about personality...pizzaz...only the solitary male teacher seemed to put it across well. How typical was it of primary schools in a working class area.

And, in your opinon, were the school wise to let the cameras in?

Pompski Fri 15-Jul-11 10:34:44

I thought this programme highlighted the difficult job that primary school teachers have.

1 teacher to 30 pupils is way to high a ratio, it is impossible to keep a close eye on all the pupils all the time. Teachers are under pressure to teach and help every pupil make progress in every lesson but are constantly battling disruption by some children.

I really enjoyed seeing the parents reaction to their pupils behaviour, how many times have I heard "but he's not like it at home."

robingood19 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:44:19

point taken. The job is difficult

Dexifehatz Sat 16-Jul-11 00:20:18

I am a teacher and could not believe it when a pupil was taken out of the room,during the explanation part of a lesson to eat some toast!

robingood19 Sat 16-Jul-11 12:35:24

dexi....the late brekki session was a new one on me.

I am a liberal on education; but I suspect that school is not a good example of free and easy classroom control

Of course we dontknowt who was inhibited yt tv.

Thinking caps on.How different would it have been if it was bone fide secret filming. I suspect more disciplined.

I repeat, the BBC told the school its about your naughty children. If you let TV in they will charm you. But do it their way. ( the parents were being blamed by the teachers. But the teachers must take their share of the blame for what was allowed in class)

Home is never going to be as formal as classroom

senua Sat 16-Jul-11 12:56:07

Was Maisie sleepy because she was tired or because she was bored? I thought that it was more a case of the latter.

Using good pupils as mini-TA is quite common, from what I have heard.

I'm also surprised that the lad was taken out to eat 'breakfast', especially when he admitted to his TA that it was a distractioon ruse. Surely the staff should be wise to such tricks and have strategies in place?

In my day we sat in rows of desks, facing the teacher, and got on with our work. There was no dividing into sections for groupwork. There was no chance of playing up whilst the teacher was concentrating on another group because she could view us all at the same time. And there was just the classroom teacher, no teaching assistants. No one went out of the room for drinks or the toilet: that was what breaktime was for. We had better discipline because that was what you did, we wouldn't dare misbehave (not because of corporal punishment but just because it was the norm).

robingood19 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:38:53

If you were further enough back at 9 years of age it could have been caning.

There was a strict non-talking rule which may be out of fashion.

Fear and respect have always been bedfellows

reallytired Sun 17-Jul-11 21:54:22

I thought the headteacher and the classroom teacher were very brave to let cameras into their classroom.

It is unfair to be armchair critics. I got the impression that the teachers were hard working and deeply caring.

My son tells me that his class is just like 4FF. I am not sure what to think.

robingood19 Mon 18-Jul-11 15:51:57

I THINK THE CLASSROOM WAS SORT OF FIXED TO SATISFY THE NEEDS OF THE TV PROD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now