Talk

Advanced search

lets start a campaign! parents rights to take kids on hoilday

(186 Posts)
jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:05:33

just want to rant a bit how unfair that schools no longer permit family holidays, the authorised absence thing is ridiculous for infant and junior children, the letter following and "unauthorised absence is threatening and rude, the fines are insulting and I feel mad about it!! I want to take a a short family holiday when it suits my family, I want to be concientious and make sure my child doesnt miss out on schooling, but this no longer feels like a free country!!

UnSerpentQuiCourt Thu 14-Jul-11 23:07:59

Do they really fine you???

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:16:53

oh yes! £50 or £100 per child

seeker Thu 14-Jul-11 23:17:52

Oh don't be silly.

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:18:31

going up to £1000 if you dont pay within a timescale, not a very long one a matter of weeks (shock)

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:19:34

friend had letter today! seen proof with very eyes!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 14-Jul-11 23:20:37

The fine probably isn't high enough to deter people who are just looking to go when fares are cheaper.

IME infants/juniors will authorise absences if there is a good reason for going in termtime.

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 23:21:13

never known anyone fined!

and why primary and infant schools only? so you think secondary isnt worth thinking about to?

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:23:19

they no longer accept good reason to take a family holiday in term time, any holidays will be classed as unauthorised and therefore you get a fine

Kewcumber Thu 14-Jul-11 23:23:20

School weren;t stroppy with me - we missed three days afer Easter (for very good reason but not good enough apparently to countr as authorised absence) - no rude letter from school, no fine, just marked as unauthorised.

I was reluctant to take DS out because I think he should be in school during school time and on holidays in the holidays - if too expensive to go abroad (and it is for us) then we holiday in the UK. DS isn;t dperived and he learns very young that school is not ditched in favour of holidays.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Thu 14-Jul-11 23:24:20

GrimmaTheNome - Heads are under increasing pressure to not authorise any term-time holiday. Our authority are introducing fines from Sep.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 14-Jul-11 23:24:59

What would constitute a 'good reason' to take holiday in termtime?

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:26:26

I agree perhaps all ages, but accept that the run up to exams etc older children should miss as little as possible, but I think family time together and travel is great for all children

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:27:45

my husband job means he cannot get leave in term time

HauntedLittleLunatic Thu 14-Jul-11 23:27:55

It is up to head whether they will grant permission for term time holiday.

You can be fined - but even when you have paid the max allowable fine the holiday is still cheaper - so wouldn't be much of a deterrent even if fines were more rigorously applied.

One year a local travel agent issued voucher to all children at the school as a deterrent to termtime holidays. Still didn't cover increased cost of holidays outside termtime and could only be used on certain.tour operator...but demographics of the school were more geared towards UK hols so again didn't really help.

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:28:25

oops cannot get leave in the school holidays (grin)

GrimmaTheNome Thu 14-Jul-11 23:29:23

> I think family time together and travel is great for all children

yes. And they have lots of breaks from school in which to do those things.

It stinks that the travel industry hikes prices, I'd rather campaign to stop that (if there was any feasible way)

GrimmaTheNome Thu 14-Jul-11 23:31:41

Jayne - sounds like your DHs employer is out of line, not the school. Surely between xmas, halfterms, easter and summer there must be some time he can take that's not term time?

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:32:43

I agree with trying to stop price hikes too! allowing holidays would help this too, everyone wouldnt be all trying to go on holiday at same time, supply and demand

jayne222 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:34:10

he works in airline industry and do not allow holidays in peek times, namely all the school holidays!!! yes completely out of hand!

UnSerpentQuiCourt Thu 14-Jul-11 23:34:14

Cannot believe that you could be fined .... and I am a primary teacher! Obviously our LEA doesn't do it yet.

Couldn't you just be ill for 3 days? I realise that is not honest, but this system is totally unreasonable. Schools are taking themselves far too seriously - there is nothing that could be taught over 3 days/2 weeks that could not easily be caught up with a bit of good will.

I used to tell parents what we would be covering and what the children would ideally be able to do when they came back from holiday eg 'We will be reading fantasy stories;could you take one with you to read and talk about? We will also be practicing the 3x and 4x tables and when he comes back there will be a spelling test; these are the words.' In ten minutes a day, they could generally make sure that their child hadn't missed out, while having an amazing experience. In twenty years time, the child will probably remember the family holiday; there is far less chance that they will remember the slick and OfSTED-approved lesson on story openings or rules for spelling prefixes.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 14-Jul-11 23:37:38

It'd be very disruptive if that was commonplace.
And teachers and other school staff wouldn't be able to go off willynilly.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 14-Jul-11 23:40:40

I would suggest that an employer who won't let staff take holiday in school holiday times should stump up any fine.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Jul-11 23:48:19

It's the travel companies' pricing that needs to be campaigned against, not schools trying to keep children in school hmm

LawrieMarlow Fri 15-Jul-11 00:03:44

What about teachers? What if their partner is unable to take holiday during school holidays? Should they take time off work to go on holiday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now