Talk

Advanced search

Applying for secondary school if moving to a new area?

(2 Posts)
Mzdemeanour Wed 13-Jul-11 15:44:23

This is me doing a bit of very advanced future planning but thought I'd see if anyone could offer any advice.

I am a single mum of 7-year-old twins - have been seeing a man for six months and we are (vaguely) planning future together. I live in north London, he lives in Bucks and we have agreed to try and find somewhere in the middle-ish when the time comes.

My concern is what to do I do re schools - as we are not yet sure where we will end up living (and won't realistically be for a year or two), do I have to wait until we have an address to apply for a school place in, say, Bucks ... or can I apply on spec saying we are planning on moving/looking? Think because of our circumstances it is more likely that school place availability will affect where we look/end up rather than anything else (I teach part-time and need to be in commuting distance of London but may change jobs completely/he doesn't mind a bit of a commute ...)

Any advice gratefully received ...

weblette Wed 13-Jul-11 16:04:16

AFAIK you have to have proof of address - or a rental contract - before applying.

One factor you should keep in mind, Bucks is an 11+ area, you need to look very carefully at senior school catchments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now