Talk

Advanced search

State school teacher, private school parent

(40 Posts)
abiesa Tue 12-Jul-11 08:17:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

abiesa Tue 12-Jul-11 08:19:32

If you teach in a state school, what things would make you send your children to independent school?

When would be the best time to make a switch from state to independent, or in reverse?

Blackduck Tue 12-Jul-11 08:22:30

FOr my sil it was at the secondary switch. She had no choice for her son and when she was threatened with a knife in the playground on the day she went to view the school she decided her son wasn't going there.

mnistooaddictive Tue 12-Jul-11 08:23:09

I wouldn't for 2 main reasons. I gave taught many children who gave cone to state from private and am appalled at education they have received. I also believe on the state education system.
I would have thought as a teacher you would have more sense than to lump schools into state and private. Schools vary enormously with good and bad in both sectors.

bigTillyMint Tue 12-Jul-11 08:23:56

DH and I teach in a state schools and our children go to state schools - we have never considered independent.

However, I do feel sad that most state primary schools do not offer the level or amount of sports tuition/opportunities that some of the better independent schools are able to offer.

abiesa Tue 12-Jul-11 08:31:01

Sorry mnistooaddictive, I should have said let us assume teachers can usually tell the difference between a good and bad school, so this is about what they look for or try to avoid.

Thanks to all for their experiences.

exoticfruits Tue 12-Jul-11 08:37:14

Smaller classes.

PatriciaHolm Tue 12-Jul-11 09:59:34

Are you writing an article, abiesa?

abiesa Tue 12-Jul-11 16:16:55

No, PatriciHolm, curious and trying to work things out for myself.

abiesa Tue 12-Jul-11 17:00:19

What started it off in my mind was a dinner party comment last week that the local honey pot state school Heads send theirs to independents, despite an awful lot of parents happily applying to their schools as well as independents. If anyone does, they should know how to get state education right for their children.

Safety I can understand, but most of us don't get killed or maimed at school. Smaller classes doesn't really explain it entirely, although it may be the deciding factor for some children. Perhaps they're exceptions.

twinklypearls Tue 12-Jul-11 19:30:48

if I felt the need to send my dd to an independent school and it is something we have discussed I would aim to teach in the indpendent sector as well. I woudl feel very uncomfortable providing an education for other children that I did not think was good enough for my own. This applies even more for head teachers.

Loshad Tue 12-Jul-11 20:07:00

that doesn't always apply tho' pearls - I teach state - outstanding and I would love my dcs to go there - we couldn't afford a rabbit hutch in catchment however, and my dh would be outside his maximum permitted distance to work, so my dcs go indi. It is not that what I am offering is not good enough, it is that what is available to everyone is not good enough. I can't solve that problem as an ordinary classroom teacher!!

Hulababy Tue 12-Jul-11 20:09:26

I was a state school teacher. I am now a TA in a state school. My DD goes to an independent prep school.

It has nothing to do with my job. I made the right decision for my child and our situation and our local state school could not offer us what we required at the time.

I am still a very dedicated TA and give my all for the school I work at. The fact that DD goes to a school in the private sector is frankly irrelevent.

whippet Tue 12-Jul-11 20:15:49

Overall attitude, culture and 'expectations' of independent school - ambition/ work ethic/ focus on appearance/ manners/ confidence. The sense that most children/families at the independent value hard work and success (in whatever a child excels at - not just academics). Focus on sport/competitiveness. Broader opportunities for e.g. Duke of Edinburgh, school trips, music, drama etc.

11+ (or 13+) best time to swtich (although even by then, som bad habits and peer attitudes might already have become established).

twinklypearls Tue 12-Jul-11 20:33:57

I suppose it is less difficult if your children are not in catchment, my dd is in catchment and it is known locally who we are and I have a relatively high profile role in the school. I would have a hard time at work from colleagues and parents if I even used the grammar, never mind independent schools.

I used to teach in a very difficult "sink" school and at the time I was under a lot of pressure from my family to send my dd to an independent school. I kept my dd in the state sector but as I was considering whether I moved her out of the state sector I felt it would be impossible for me to stay in the state system if I did not think it was good enough for my own child.

For me being part of a community is an important part of teaching and I have always enjoyed my job the most when I have lived in the catchment of the school I am teaching in. There is a sense that we are all in the same boat, working together for all of our children. I could not claim to be doing that if I was then shipping dd off to another school.

twinklypearls Tue 12-Jul-11 20:35:02

You can get all of that in a state school whippet.

whippet Tue 12-Jul-11 23:12:55

twinkly - I know you can(at a 'good' state school), but it isn't always the case......

TalkinPeace2 Tue 12-Jul-11 23:56:08

DD is in year 8 at a true comp - 1600 kids
has done 7 school trips this term, fits in after school sports, music lessons
outside school she dances, rides and swims
has just signed up to start Latin next year (on top of French and Spanish already)

then again my catchment comp biscuit wine biscuit

both academies BTW - one old style one new

twinklypearls Wed 13-Jul-11 00:16:58

I know it isn't always the case, my dd has attended good and bad schools and I have taught in state schools of both extremes.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 00:27:45

Mine is currently at a private prep and she's almost 7...we are hoping to change to state in September....beause the private school is like a hothouse. Far too serious and intense...it makes her tired and stressed. She likes the other kids and they all get on well...some lovely families there..but it's too much for her.

We may engage a tutor if we feels she needs one later... for us, the social mix is another point. We want her to mix with children from varied backgrounds...the DC at her current school just aren't gving her a realistic view.

Oh...and the state school has better after school clubs! grin

exoticfruits Wed 13-Jul-11 07:28:23

Mine have had all that in a comprehensive whippet -I don't see the need to pay for it.

Fairley Wed 13-Jul-11 08:20:33

Very narrow minded whippet and the sort of attitude which makes me choose state.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 08:23:56

I am confident that the attitude comes from home.....in DDs privte school (which incidentally has an outstandning OFSTED...there are many kids with terrible manners. My DD went there with lovely table manners and ithin a term was burping and saying words which are NOT ok.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 08:28:56

When I say burping I mean at the table and during meals...she also began to say "Pardon me" angry grin

I am half joking of course...but as far as private schools go, they're not all the be-all and end-all.

abiesa Wed 13-Jul-11 10:17:46

If possible I'd like the thread not to become one about private v state (though that may be part of the reasons for some, fine). Just some honest RL experiences so I can get my own mind (and hopefully some other parents' ones too) around it. Please do change your username too if that helps.

Could be something inexplicable because I don't know these Heads that well. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now