Talk

Advanced search

Logistics of private school pls.

(17 Posts)
Jesusgirl Sat 09-Jul-11 13:11:15

After years of deliberating, we decided ds should go the private education route. Financially, it's going to be quite some sacrifice but I think we can somehow make it. My main issue now is the logistics of school runs. The school is about 20 mins drive from home and Dh and I both work full time. Wrap around ends at 5:45pm and I'm not sure I can make the trip from work to pick my other dc at nursery and then pick ds up by then. What would be a good option? Is there any service available to pick up and preferably drop him at home? Obviously I dont want to spend so much extra on that. As it is tuition, wraparound etc is about £4000 a term- for 1 child!!! Any experience shared would be appreciated. Thanks.

fivecandles Sat 09-Jul-11 13:42:08

Is there a school bus if he's old enough. Children get the school bus at my dcs' school from age 7 or 8. Otherwise, sounds like your only choice is to share the travel with another parent/s. You could do mornings if someone else could do afternoons?

senua Sat 09-Jul-11 13:50:18

What about holidays, too? Holiday clubs often co-incide with State school holidays but Independents often break up before that - what will you do with those odd weeks?
Is it more cost-effective to have a nanny (or nanny-share) instead of after-school and holiday clubs for DC1 and nursery for DC2?

senua Sat 09-Jul-11 13:51:29

Ugh. cost-effective wasn't the right word, was it.

Jesusgirl Sat 09-Jul-11 20:08:00

Thanks. I particularly like the idea of. Sharing with another parent. I could easily do the morning run. It's just that i don't know any parent yet but hopefully I'd meet some soon.

NerfHerder Sat 09-Jul-11 20:14:53

How are the logistics any different from a non fee paying school? <<boggles>>

annh Sat 09-Jul-11 22:33:27

Are you sure you have thought this through? When does your ds start at the school? If Sept, you will have to put something in place NOW. You can't rely on just rocking up and finding another parent who will share the run with you, particularly as you don't live close to the school, work fulltime and the area from which pupils come to school is likely to be wide. What are you planning on doing in holidays, for INSET days, sickness. It sounds like you need an au pair. Do you have space for one? If so, and your other dc is not too young, you could fund the au pair by cutting back a bit on nursery, maybe having the au pair do a couple of half-days with him/her. Another advantage would be shortening the school day. From whatever time your ds would be arriving at school (8.30?) until he gets home after 6 is a very long day for a reception child, particularly if you have to do reading, phonics etc as well.

Jesusgirl Sun 10-Jul-11 02:15:57

Nerfherder, the difference with a non fee paying school is that there a bit more cash to sort out childcare and it's closer to home so it's easier doing school runs.

As per aupair, we thought about it but we live in a 3 bedroom house and the kids each have a room (boy and girl). We're looking into a live out nanny or aupair. My ds is going to year 3 but he's been having an 8-6 day since age 2, and my daughter since 10 months! ..... Gosh writing that down makes me realise how long the hours are! They're both used to it now anyway.

I think the live out aupair is a great idea if there's anything like that! If she drives, she can pick up from school and then at least the kids can be home at a decent time and that'll cut down on the extra expense of afterschool care.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

fridayschild Sun 10-Jul-11 08:29:59

When my DCs moved to a private school the school put me in touch with the class reps. I got the class lists from them and mailed everyone in my area to ask about lift sharing.

Lots of people are sorted out by year 3 but you never know...

The class reps at the new school are a lot more pro-active than at the old school. I think this is because children go from a larger geographical area than just the local authority catchment area, so you have to try harder to get to know people and make the school feel like a community.

NerfHerder Sun 10-Jul-11 14:25:52

Can you do it so 1 parent does drop off, one does pickup? That way one of you does 'earliest and one does 'lates'?
How long do you have to manage until DD starts there too?
A Childminder after school may be a good option, then at least you wouldn't need after-school care, if you can find one nearer home or DD's nursery.
It is so difficult though, I know. We only manage because I have family help with nursery pickup 3times a week.

NerfHerder Sun 10-Jul-11 14:28:39

Also, don't know how flexible your working hours are, but if he went on school bus (ours have minibuses) in the morning, could you start earlier, and so leave earlier in the evening?

Dozer Sun 10-Jul-11 19:12:45

Local childminder near the school?

acebaby Sun 10-Jul-11 22:13:15

Unfortunately very few child minders pick up from private schools ( none come to ds's school). Several people have nannies and /or lots of help from family. Using wrap around care more than a day or two a week is also not practical because of homework, unless of course your school supervises homework during the wrap around sessions (not necessarily the case).

Can you arrange flexible working so that you pick up some of the time and work evenings/weekends? Would a nanny share be possible?

Good luck!

Jesusgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 00:39:29

Unfortunately I can't alter my hours at work.

I made a bit of progress today though. I have a baby sitter that looks after the kids when Dh and I need to go out for a meal or stuff like that. I had a chat with her and she says her Dh might be able to pick up at a charge of course. But I guess he needs to get insured for that etc. She'll get back to me soon, so fingers crossed!

rainbowtoenails Mon 11-Jul-11 00:54:12

Can u move dds nursery to closer to the school, or move house/job? And what about dps role or is he one of those virtual absent fathers?

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 10:08:27

Be careful- if he does it as an ongoing arrangement, it will be classed as formal childcare, and he will have to register with ofsted!

wheelsonthebus Mon 11-Jul-11 11:27:38

your only real options are to change your working hours or get an au pair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now