Talk

Advanced search

alternative education

(5 Posts)
hamaflo Thu 07-Jul-11 14:05:41

Hi all
my youngest child has a very unusual learning style and is not suited to mainstream teaching methods. She is very bright and loves learning and will absorb anything if given "free rein" to learn for herself. Obviously this doesn't fit in wih her primay school's ideas of teaching sad
We have just looked around the local secondary school for her sister and are both afraid of what will happen to the youngest one once she gets to that level of education - she will not fit in and will almost certainly be seen as a "troublemaker". Any ideas about alternative education places close to Milton Keynes?
Thanks

IndigoBell Thu 07-Jul-11 14:40:27

There are very few alternatives in the UK (although maybe free schools will change that?)

Seriously look into SummerHill.

Or else home educate. If you don't work it's very easy to do.

hamaflo Thu 07-Jul-11 17:52:59

Thanks Indigo
Looked at Summerhill already. I remembered it from years ago and thought it would be ideal for DD but it is for boarding only sad
Home schooling might be an option as both me and the wife are at home studying ourselves. Do you get any financial support with home schooling? i.e. does the pupil premium come with the pupil?

Marjoriew Thu 07-Jul-11 19:28:19

Have a look on the Home Ed threads. You'll get lots of info there and questions answered.
No financial help though.

Saracen Fri 08-Jul-11 01:56:34

Sounds like your daughter could be ideally suited to home education. It can be done very cheaply, depending how you want to go about it. If you are considering alternative schools, presumably private, then the cost of home educating would compare very favourably to that. Even if you chose to shell out for lots of extras such as tutors, it would be hard to spend as much as the fees for a private school.

There's plenty going on in your area for home educating families. You might enjoy meeting up with some other local families to chat in person about how it all works. http://www.mkhen.org.uk/

Do feel free to come over to the home ed board as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now