Talk

Advanced search

KS1 sats results - all C's - is this bad ?

(7 Posts)
jessica36 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:34:40

My daughter has brought home her school report - full of praise, which is nice as she worked very hard this year.

She had KS1 sats and has been given 3c in eveything. I don`t understand these results - I always assumed c are worse than a & b, but it just does not add up with the actual report. Have the teachers made a mistake ?

NerfHerder Wed 06-Jul-11 16:40:41

No- it just means a low level 3 as opposed to an established 3 (3b) or very secure 3 (3a).
National standard is to reach 2b, so she's above average (don't know if that's good for her ability or not, only you and her teacher k ow that)

Cortina Wed 06-Jul-11 16:49:40

Sounds very good indeed especially if young for the year.

IndigoBell Wed 06-Jul-11 16:57:00

A level 3 is the bit that is very good. The c is only the sublevel.

So she could have goat a Level 1, 2 or 3 ( with 1 being the worst and 3 being the best) and then in each level she could have got an a, b or c.

So she's approximately in the top 25% of the country......

3isthemagicnumber Wed 06-Jul-11 17:00:43

At our school, we would only publish level 3 at Yr 2, not the sub level c,b,a.
If she has got 3c then she has done really really well.
As already said she is 2 sub levels above the national standard for her age.

diabolo Wed 06-Jul-11 19:32:28

At KS1 you either get a 1, 2c, 2b, 2a, or a 3 - so I don't know what your school mean by giving a 3c. There is no such thing at KS1.

I'm the data analyst at a school, my job depends on getting this sort of thing right, and if she has 3's in everything she is obviously bright, but the mark-schemes at KS1 don't differentiate between sub-levels at Level 3.

Feenie Wed 06-Jul-11 22:12:28

But the teacher assessments do, diabolo - and the Y2 assessment is a teacher assessment. The tests are only a small part.

The only thing that a school has to report at level 3 is just that, a level 3. But within school, for tracking purposes and from the many pieces of evidence the teacher uses, the teacher will most certainly subdivide the level.

I am very surprised that your data analysis within school only uses a broad level judgement - the majority of schools will report a broad level as required, but grade it much more finely for data analysis purposes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now