Talk

Advanced search

Kip McGrath- is it term time only?

(5 Posts)
erebus Tue 28-Jun-11 13:17:25

Am seriously thinking about boosting DS2's confidence in literacy. He's just finishing Y5.

I am looking with interest at Kip McGrath.

Does anyone know if they operate throughout the year or do they follow school terms?

Many thanks with this- and any other things I should consider!

altmum Tue 28-Jun-11 14:16:13

My son used to go and yes, it follows term times

HowardJ Thu 30-Jun-11 10:59:53

Yes, they do follow term times, however, many centres run holiday sessions or revision days. Many have summmer schools or open during the summer break. The best thing to do is get in touch with your local centre to find out what they offer.

aries12 Fri 01-Jul-11 13:54:25

Most centres follow term time, however I have seen week long intensive half day courses advertised for late August in some places. It very much depends on your local centre. If that fails you could just agree that you will spend half an hour extra with him for at least three times a week. Buy books from Waterstones or WH Smith and focus on doing exercises with him. (easier said than done I know but once you start it gets easier!!). Then in Sep. if you think he still needs extra work you could use Kip McGrath one evening a week. You are right to be putting in the effort now before he enters the Secondary cycle.

erebus Sat 02-Jul-11 19:52:54

Hiya- well, we bit the bullet and have enrolled DS2 with KMG.

He was assessed today and his results backed up what I suspected: His actual age is 10 years and 1 month

His 'decoding' ability (reading a list of words and working out some of the words he was unsure of) is 10 years 10 months

His comprehension is 8 years 5 months, the assessor, like me, wondered about low grade dyslexia.

His reading is 8 years 2 months (the school reckoned he was 'well on course' for a 4 in his Y6 SATS, a statement I struggled to believe)

His written passage was OK, but quite 'average'.

He will do the last 3 weeks of this term, then 3 or 4 sessions over the summer in their summer programme and will kick off again in Sept.

I entirely agree about the books from WH Smiths BUT I have so found with DS2 he will not work for me. All strops and flumping about whereas if a teacher asks him to do something, off he goes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now