Talk

Advanced search

SCHOOLS? To what extent are theyjob fodder emporiums?

(4 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Tue 28-Jun-11 13:03:48

I... means it exams exams exams.....testing, testing testing.I suppose stATE SCHOOLS SHOULD BE FEEDING THE JOB MARKET. pITY THERE are so few jobs

Snuppeline Tue 28-Jun-11 13:08:51

Ehm...? Your point being?

Surely one has to test the extent to which children have attained knowledge to be able to say to a prospective employer that a child has gained a certain set of skills?

I have no problem with testing, however, I do think a debate about what sort of material one should teach (and subsequently test) in schools which may better equip children for work (responsibility and time management skills spring to mind!). But it all depends on the type of work a child ends up doing doesn't it? Teaching our children is also supposed, IMO, to be about creating valuable members of our society which may mean teaching (and testing) subjects which do not immediately appear relevant for future work.

What did you really mean OP?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 28-Jun-11 13:11:57

YABU/YANBU, depending what your pov actually is, which doesn't seem to be clear. Are you saying that you think that they are or that they aren't?

I find that children leave school totally unprepared for the reality of life and the job market.

Ormirian Tue 28-Jun-11 13:14:02

Well take away the perjorative language I suppose that is what they are and what they have to be to a certain extent. It would be lovely to teach all children to express themselves and grow as human beings and only in the fullness of time decide on a fulfilling career and pick up the hard skills they need. But I suspect the tax payers would whinge. The narrowness of experience and outlook in many childrens' lives can't be addressed totally by the education system - that has to be down to the other influences in their lives.

No jobs? That may well be true but with any luck there will be one day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now