Talk

Advanced search

What are you giving teachers for a present ?

(31 Posts)
ThePathlessPath Fri 24-Jun-11 19:12:51

going shopping tomorrow and want to get something fab for a great reception teacher who has looked after out daughter so well but not sure what to get can anyone in spire me? Not even sure how much is the accepted amout to spend?

K999 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:14:33

I'm giving DDs nursery teacher John Lewis vouchers and giving the same to her key worker too. The rest of the staff am just giving chocolates.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 24-Jun-11 19:14:48

I don't give presents. A note of appreciation would mean far more to the teacher than another box of chocolates or another mug.

ThePathlessPath Fri 24-Jun-11 19:17:33

what sort of amout is the normal ampount in this sort of situation?

UniS Fri 24-Jun-11 20:32:16

Gardening gloves in a funky colour for a funky teacher who has done lots of growing food related activities with the class this year. Will also get child to make & write a card.

tilly3325 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:44:15

I used to buy presents when my eldest ds (14) was in primary but now the norm at our school is everyone puts in together and then get john lewis vouchers for the whole amount which is a nice sum in total but not too bad from an individual point of view.

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 24-Jun-11 20:47:17

I gave my dds teachers, who have been fab this year, a bottle of "champagne" each, which they seemed to appreciate. The kids wrote out nice cards too. I was a bit worried that it might seem a bit "vulgar" or something to give alcohol, but know that I would always appreciate a bottle of something (old wino emoticon blush) I didn't send the bottles with the children, though!

DrGruntFotter Fri 24-Jun-11 20:48:29

Message withdrawn

Ragwort Fri 24-Jun-11 20:49:13

Agree with Shatners.

(There have been numerous threads on this subject recently grin).

Georgimama Fri 24-Jun-11 20:49:19

Nothing. I think presents for teachers is madness.

DrGruntFotter Fri 24-Jun-11 20:50:19

Message withdrawn

harecare Fri 24-Jun-11 20:52:13

I'm with Georgimama.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 24-Jun-11 21:09:13

last year I gave a bunch of flowers out of the garden (broke) this years it's nothing (looong story, needless to say not been overly impressed with job share teachers)

Cookster Sun 26-Jun-11 14:34:26

I'm sending them a bill for my mother's return fare to come and help when they strike next Thursday. If they want to be treated like professionals they need to start behaving like professionals. I work exceptionally hard, just manage to keep all the balls in the air, don't have a pension scheme which matches theirs or 14 weeks holiday. This causes unbudgeted expense and as the head didn't even apologise for the potential inconvenience to the rest of the school community at best the bill might accompany a book about good manners and a letter stating that I expect them to be better rolel models for my dc. And god help any one of them that writes anything like x read allowed beautifully today. Next time I won't be keeping stum and smiling, I'll be asking if they are fit to be in the classroom in the first place.

Euphemia Sun 26-Jun-11 17:06:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Elibean Sun 26-Jun-11 17:35:07

dd1 'makes' a book online, with photos and her own feelings and best bits, about her year in school. Being that it is nearly the end of the year, she usually says very complimentary things about her class teacher - so end of year present is a copy of dd's book!

Elibean Sun 26-Jun-11 17:35:38

And hmm at Cookster

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 26-Jun-11 17:38:49

Although I reluctatnly jointed in this pressie for the teacher thing when DCs were at school (for their sake - but only ever got tiny things), I never quite got why the teachers needed presents - after all they are paid well enough for doing their job. I don't expect or get presents for doing my job. Agree with the poster who suggested a nice note of appreciation instead.

Euphemia Sun 26-Jun-11 17:44:26

Nobody needs presents. It's just a nice thing to do. hmm

TyDontWannaMissAthing Sun 26-Jun-11 17:45:26

My ds goes to playgroup that is attached to a school, he is moving up to the nursery also attached to the school, I want to buy for all of them to be fair, but its only 3 that seem to be there on a regular basis, the group leader, another lovely lady and his key worker who to be honest is hardly there, but as his keyworker, i feel i should make the effort. This is why I am just thinking a box of thorntons and they can share grin

Euphemia Sun 26-Jun-11 18:06:00

Good idea - teachers love chocs or biscuits they can put out in the staffroom to share at playtime. smile

djinthailand Sun 26-Jun-11 18:50:02

Each member of my ds's Year 1 class is doing a single page of a scrapbook. For my ds's page he has written a short note thanking his teacher for helping him this year and saying that he has loved being in her class. He's decorated the page with stickers and a little photo of himself. I was thinking of buying her and the teaching assistant a nice notebook and pen (not expensive ones though) - just a gesture of our appreciation. They've worked hard with the children throughout the year and my ds has come along very well and has loved being there.

LovetheHarp Sun 26-Jun-11 20:36:14

The way I feel is that I wouldn't buy a present or a card this year, as it has been a bad year for my DD and I don't rate her teacher at all.

However, I think it is important that the child does something, whether writing a card or buying a little present from them as I think it is a nice thing to do and something I would encourage. After all they were look after by them and they spent a whole year developing a relationship with that person, no matter what I think of them!

ReadingMan Sun 26-Jun-11 20:46:16

Depends if they strike or not!

Hulababy Sun 26-Jun-11 20:57:08

We will send a card with a message in, and we have contributed to a class gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now