Talk

Advanced search

How can a school advertise they cater for special needs, yet when I phone them they sy they don't.

(5 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Fri 24-Jun-11 14:16:13

Hi, my 6 year old daughter has a developmental delay of approx 2 years. She's being home educated but I was looking for an alternative flexi school for her.
I found a forest school quite neer to us, advertised on the internet. It said they did flexi schooling and cater for special needs.
I phoned up and all was great until I mentioned that she has special needs. She then said "Oh, we're not a special needs school, we don't provide extra help for special needs children". She asked what her SN's were and I told her and she just said that she'd need support in the class and in different activities and although it's a small class, it wouldn't be fair if she needs more help than the others. I thought fair enough, but I did mention that it says on all the sites I've looked at for this school that they take children with special needs. She then said "Oh, well I'm not sure about that. We don't have any experience if special needs at all".
She said that I was welcome to come for a morning session with her once a week, but I'd have to stay with her to provide her with her extra help. I thought this would be o.k. It's all outside on this morning, learning about nature etc.
I do think it's false advertising though, they haven't even met my DD and they just said "no it's not suitable to leave her hear".
The main point of sending her would be so that she can have a bit of time away from me, making friends and learning in a fun way, while I can have some time to myself. I'm wondering wether I should go for a morning with her to see if we like it. I'd just have to stay with her for her sessions, or just to say "sod you then!" I don't want my dd to miss out on anything she might really enjoy but if she's not welcome then there's no point. [sd]

DELHI Fri 24-Jun-11 14:23:36

No harm in trying it out, but it doesn't sound like it's right for your DD, and if you have to stay with her it kind of defeats the object...
Perhaps ask your LEA what schools there are locally that might be more suitable?

Bluebell99 Fri 24-Jun-11 14:27:38

What's a forest school? I have read a lot of your posts and think you should have a look at your local state schools. They will vary, but my dd's primary school is excellent at dealing with and supporting children with special needs. Until recently they was a boy with down syndrome in the school, he stayed on for two years as he was ill in year 6. There are also lots of children with other special needs. Or also in our area is a school for children with mild and moderate and severe learning difficulties. I really think uyou should getnher in the state system with statement to meet her eductional needs.

mummyloveslucy Fri 24-Jun-11 14:37:27

It probubly isn't. I thought it would be all practical learning, but they do have class rooms and are taught maths and english in much the same way as any other school.
I'd be much happier if it was just a place where the children learn about wild life, nature, problem solving etc through practical experience. That way the actual teaching could still be down to me.
I don't want to rush her into formal learning. We're working on building the foundations at the moment. Things like listening games, auditory memory, speech therapy, brain gym, puzzles etc. We play lots of games which involve maths and problem solving and she writes a diary. We also do projects that's she's interested in at the time.
I really have to make it fun and keep activities short.
When she came out of school in year1, she told me she hated learning and that it's too hard. Now she says that learning is fun and she'll often want to carry on her projects at the weekends. I really want this enthusiasm to last, and I don't think it will if she goes back to a situation where she's un supported in a class of 17.

mummyloveslucy Fri 24-Jun-11 14:47:51

Oh, I just thought I'd mention that we do a lot more than what I've put as the example. I'd be writing all day if I added everything. wink

Her needs are being met 100% at home, within a loving family and through many social activities where she now feels confident to make friends.

The one day a week respite is mainly for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now