Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do Friends Of The School groups ever do anything interesting?

(10 Posts)
deepfriedcupcake Thu 23-Jun-11 17:26:24

By which I mean, not just raffles and baking cakes?

I'd really like to get involved at DSs school but can't bear to get very involved in the important but terribly boring fundraising efforts that seem to go on so far.

I'd really like to help out maybe with some of the eco-school stuff, maybe a bit more with funding applications for bigger long term things - which I have work experience of, just not sure how I can help.

What interesting non-raffle things do your parents groups do?

ashamedandconfused Thu 23-Jun-11 17:52:40

discos for the kids, fireworks, pumpkin carving competition, barn dances for all, quiz or bingo nights, race night, pamper evenings, fashion shows (kids and ladies), dragon boat racing (local charities thing), fun runs/sponsored walks/swims, christmas, spring and summer fairs (big earners - SANTAS GROTTO AT XMAS AND BIG bbq AND SIDE STALLS AT SUMMER)

oops, sorry about the capitals!

I find it great fun and have made lots of friends through our PTA

ProfYaffle Thu 23-Jun-11 17:57:33

Similar to ashamed. They do parents events in the evening as well as the usual fetes etc. They're quite good at exploiting opportunities like selling ice creams in the playground after school in the summer term, running a BBQ or cream teas at sports day, sales for Mother's Day presents etc

Not sure if that's as exciting as you're looking for but they raise shed loads of cash for the school, way more than the national average.

Hulababy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:40:58

This year we have had:

Christmas fayre
Annual ball
Dads and daughters (its a girls school) camping weekend
Mum's Challenge (meal and walk)
Children's Karake disco
Annual quiz night
Wine Tasting Evening
Annual Treasure hunt
Come Dine With....(School Cook)

All are really well attended too. They've had other stuff, like author nights in too).

deepfriedcupcake Thu 23-Jun-11 20:21:13

Ooh, I like some of those ideas, esp for the parents too, and camping's a great idea - we're just near some cracking hills and the school's got a good field too for a practice run.

Sinkingfeeling Thu 23-Jun-11 23:38:41

Why don't you go to their next meeting and bring your ideas and enthusiasm? All Friends of Schools could arrange interesting and fantastic events if they had the people-power to execute them.

galletti Thu 23-Jun-11 23:50:20

I agree with Sinkingfeeling - go along to the next meeting with your offer of what you would like to do. I have run our pta for the last seven years, and we have been crying out for people who will take on something like fund-raising/long term funding applications etc. Find out if there are any specific projects the PTA are raising funds for, and perhaps you can look into sponsorship deals, approaching companies for partnerships.

Other things we have done are creating frut/veg beds around the school grounds - depends on the space available of course. You could research what grants and support are available for this and organise a team to make it happen. This doesn't raise funds as such (apart from selling the odd cougette and carrot to parents, which is good!) but helps the children in their education with growing from scratch/healthy eating, circle of life etc.

Go for it!

ragged Fri 24-Jun-11 06:02:22

Our Friends just does fund-raising and tea+biscuits for parents at occasional parent-school meetings.

But other Groups at DC school have had some good projects going that aren't purely about fund-raising. There's a long-term (award-winning) incentive scheme to get as many kids as possible walking not driven to school, there's a TA who runs a gardening club and collars parents and staff into landscaping projects, there's always the possibility of being a regular or occasional class helper, especially when they have Challenge Days. All the after school clubs are happy to have helpers, some mums regularly come in and cook with DS y2 class, for instance.

mummytime Fri 24-Jun-11 06:31:59

One of the old PTA memebers at DCs infants had her own project in which she enhanced the school playground, it now has planted areas the kids can walk through, shade in the playground etc. Lots of parents have also been involved in the outdoor classrooms, the gardening club.
Infants regularily does: Fairs, Cake Sales, Summer BBQ, Bingo nights, Race nights, Ladies pampering, Quiz nights
Juniors: Egg race, Fairs, Cake Sales, Ice cream sales, Fair trade, Fireworks, Quiz, Barn Dance, Murder mystery, Talent show, Auction of Promises
Both: Ball
Parents are also involved: help with reading, help on trips, Outdoor spaces, Running activities on special days, Help with cooking and art, annual ground force days, talks in assembly, counting vouchers, and lots more ways.

deepfriedcupcake Fri 24-Jun-11 21:41:00

Thanks, I definietly feel a bit more inspired. Some fun ideas there.

As a result of a few "go have a chat with so-and-so"s at school kick-out, I've said I'll help out at the school fete and bake a few buns (may still try to avoid manning the tombola but happy to show willing), and there's an environmental awareness day on Thursday that I might ask if there's any projects I can help with (as my chosen but dormant profession).

I'll definitely go along with a few ideas to the next meeting too I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now