Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good (picture) book to do with non-English speaking primary children?

(8 Posts)
jamaisjedors Thu 23-Jun-11 11:55:22

DS's school want me to go in and read something. The children have about an hour of English a week from age 6 - this group will be age 7-10.

They have already done Winnie the Witch (was my first choice) and the Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Am thinking the Gruffalo but it's a bit hard.

Thanks

Euphemia Thu 23-Jun-11 12:35:50

How about a different Julia Donaldson?

A Squash and a Squeeze?
The Smartest Giant in Town?

I like those because they are very repetitive, so the children can join in when they get to know the pattern!

Tinuviel Thu 23-Jun-11 13:26:41

The Mole Who Knew It was none of his business - I read this in French to my HE French group and they love it. Talking about poo is entertaining in any language!

savoycabbage Thu 23-Jun-11 13:29:13

A squash and a squeeze is great. We have 'room on a broom' on cd where there is a song version too, which is lovely for joining in with.

jamaisjedors Thu 23-Jun-11 15:37:24

Thank you. I have room on the broom and the smartest giant in town - I will get them out and see if they are suitable.

I have also thought of "Peace at Last" jill murphy - lots of sounds to join in - but hoping the older ones won't think it's babyish? but lots of repetition - "oh no, said Mr Bear, I can't stand this" and moving into different rooms of the house.

Euphemia Thu 23-Jun-11 15:55:06

I think books for a lower reading age are sometimes appropriate for non-native speakers, as they're often good for rhyme and rhythm, etc.

Maybe they could act out Peace At Last? Read it to them then get them to role-play it. smile

ceeb Mon 27-Jun-11 19:45:32

We're Going on a Bear Hunt? Very repetitive and fun for the children to act out/join in.

jamaisjedors Mon 27-Jun-11 20:30:10

Thanks. I did the Gruffalo in the end because there is a lot of repetition and they know some body parts.

I took in a few props - a mouse/fox/owl/snake and it went well - I also projected a powerpoint I found online where someone had scanned the pages of the book so the children could all see the pictures.

It went well during the story, but then afterwards the teachers wanted the kids to talk and it was baking hot and the end of the day and so they weren't listening to each other at all.

Still, I'm pleased with how it went and am now on the look-out for a new book for next year - I willl bear in mind the suggestions on the thread.

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now