Talk

Advanced search

Moving up reading levels in Year 2 - qq

(3 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 22-Jun-11 12:56:38

My dd is a good reader with a reading age of 12 (aged 7) and she's on the last KS1 reading level at school - has been since November, but her teacher is reluctant to move her up a level as she doesn't want her being on a KS2 reading level in KS1 (tho' she gives able kids extension work in the classroom which includes KS2 stuff...)

I have asked for dd to be moved up and the teacher has just said that she'll give dd harder books from her current level but that's not really enough as the books are v easy and DD whizzes through them, her understanding is good etc, and she's getting bored and demotivated by not going up through the levels.

Other children in the school HAVE gone up to KS2 levels while in KS1, so it's not a whole-school policy. WWYD???

lockets Wed 22-Jun-11 13:05:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sittinginthesun Wed 22-Jun-11 13:51:05

Wish there was consistency between schools - ours is great. Although the chidlren are taught as a class group for every subject except phonics, they have extension work where needed. DS1 (age 7, Year 2) has been free reading since Christmas, and around a third of his class are also on "library books" now.

I agree with Lockets, just let her choose what she wants to read from the library. tbh, Ds brings home a school book, but reads five times as many home/library books anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now