Talk

Advanced search

How do i get back into teaching?

(14 Posts)
Traylo2girls Sat 18-Jun-11 11:05:44

I qualified as a primary teacher in 2004, however i never completed my induction year and have never had a teachin post. I had a rough few years with bereavments and depression. However im now happily married with two wonderful kids and feel i should try to do something with my degree anyone any ideas where i need to go????
Thanks xx

Euphemia Sat 18-Jun-11 16:27:41

Are you in England? You'd be best to contact the GTC and ask.

I know that in Scotland you only get two years to complete induction.

Traylo2girls Sat 18-Jun-11 16:42:56

Wales?? Thats what i thought there used to be a return to teaching course but they dont do it any more :-(

exoticfruits Sat 18-Jun-11 16:45:06

Ask about 'Return to Teaching' courses.I went on one after a big gap and I remember that one person was in your situation, except that it was a lot more than 7yrs. I met her about 2 yrs laterand she was teaching full time. Contact your LEA and ask advice.

exoticfruits Sat 18-Jun-11 16:46:41

Cross posted-are you sure they don't do 'return to teaching' courses? I had to travel to go on it.

Hulababy Sat 18-Jun-11 17:08:23

According to the TDA website there is now no time restriction for completing your induction year,, so you cou;d just go back to it.

There are still refresher courses available in England too.

MmeBlueberry Sun 19-Jun-11 05:59:37

I got back into teaching by doing supply and short contract work.

exoticfruits Sun 19-Jun-11 07:40:46

I did it that way-but after the 'return to teaching course'. 7yrs is a long time, especially if you haven't ever had your own class to go in cold. I went to the course and my local school let me go in and observe and take some lessons, in conjunction with the course.

MmeBlueberry Sun 19-Jun-11 07:56:56

I had an 8 year break after just one year of teaching. There were no convenient return to teaching courses for me. But, really, it all came flooding back.

Supply is good because you get loads of experience in a short period of time, you can practise your teaching style, and if you mess up, you don't have to go back there. smile

exoticfruits Sun 19-Jun-11 08:59:45

It is true, if you have the confidence you can just go straight to supply. Supply is really the only way in. I tried for a part time job first but the interview feed back was I had been out too long, get experience with supply first. I did the course because I had lost my confidence- I also went back after a lot of changes and needed to update.

twinklypearls Sun 19-Jun-11 10:43:34

I had a similar break in teaching. I just applied for a job that in a school that I knew would not attract many applicants. I worked therefore for 3 years, got my experience, my reference and lesson observations. I also spent a few years doing some family support work in the area that I taught, which I think helped swing it because I was teaching in an area of high deprivation.

Supply is another good way or maternity covers. Although in this climate experienced very good teachers are snapping up maternity covers,

MmeBlueberry Sun 19-Jun-11 13:21:02

Maternity covers are great because you do the full job for two terms, so can get a better reference (you can be a form tutor, do assessments, deal with parents, contribute to a team, etc), and there is a good chance of the job becomming permanent. They are hard to come by as schools often like maternity covers to hit the ground running, especially if it starts mid year.

My friend went for a interview for a maternity cover a few weeks ago, and there were over 30 applicants, according to the school.

My advice to the OP would be to sign up with a teaching agency in order to get a CRB check. The agency will need two referees, which can be the tricky part. I used my DSs' head teacher, who was a personal friend and my vicar. They could only give character references, of course, and that was fine. I'm not sure if it is still necessary to sign up with the GTC, but if so, do this plus a union. Then you will be ready for any opportunity that comes your way.

Also, create a CV, and try to present your time off in the most positive light, thinking about the transferrable skills you acquired in that time. You will have some difficult questions to answer, so be prepared for these.

And, to show that you are investing in your career, ask some schools to let you shadow them for a week or two at a time. Most schools will let you do this, and you will be on their radar screen for when they are in need of a supply teacher. You can also pick the head teachers' brains as to how to market yourself effectively.

Traylo2girls Tue 21-Jun-11 20:25:33

Thanks everyone for posting, i am going to start the ball rolling and start phoning a few agencies etc, would really like to do a refresher if poss cause ive been out for so long
also might speak to my daughters school about possibly going in a few days........ Will keep you posted xxxx

exoticfruits Tue 21-Jun-11 20:30:25

I started with DCs school-they were very helpful. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now