Talk

Advanced search

WHIPPING raCE HORSES IS BACK ON THE ABOLITION AGEND ...HOW DOES THE EDUCATION SITE FEEL

(16 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Fri 17-Jun-11 20:42:40

i HAVE BEEN AGAIONST FOR MANY YEARS AND i AM FROM A FARMING BACKGROUND.

Lifeissweet Fri 17-Jun-11 20:47:25

mental. Why is this an issue for people interested in education - and when did you stop signing your name at the end of your posts? I liked that.

PatriciaHolm Fri 17-Jun-11 21:37:02

Gabby's on the gin again ;-)

GabbyLoggon Sat 18-Jun-11 09:47:17

LIFE Get a life. You cant split our existance into neat little piles. What are you teaching kids on whipping racehorses. Which looks as though its gradually on the way out. The jockey club are mainly cave men. Get real, get slightly radical.

TheDogsAintTheProblem Sat 18-Jun-11 14:57:15

"The jockey club are mainly cave men."

Rarely a truer word spoken.

Life, a decent education encompasses animal welfare, or at least it should do. Otherwise all mankind might as well have remained in their caves, not just the Jockey Club.

dapplegrey Sat 18-Jun-11 16:29:19

The Jockey Club are no longer in charge of racing and haven't been for some years. The BHA is now the governing body.
Maybe you should check your facts.
Also, WTF has this got to do with education?

GabbyLoggon Sun 19-Jun-11 15:56:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

MoreBeta Sun 19-Jun-11 16:05:37

I AHVE ALSO BEEN AGIANST IT FOR MANY YEARS AND ASLO FORM A FARMING BACKGROUND.

Not many children ride race horses though so not exactly a priority for the National Curriculum! grin

GabbyLoggon Sun 19-Jun-11 16:29:09

more beta.. great, a lotof racegoers are agin it. but they dont call the shots. Gabby ispondering her answer over the mutton sorbet

MoreBeta Sun 19-Jun-11 17:35:29

Gabby - you are a very clever computer algorithm but you consistently fail the Turing Test.

"The Turing test is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior. A human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each emulating human responses. All participants are separated from one another. If the judge cannot reliably tell the machine from the human, the machine is said to have passed the test. In order to test the machine's intelligence rather than its ability to render words into audio, the conversation is limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen."

You stimulate debate from human beings on threads but you don't debate with them. I issue a challenge that either:

a) your creator come on here and reveal the results of the experiement they are running via you and your interactions on MN; or

b) engage with me and others by explaining why you are interested in this subject and we will judge whether you are a human.

grin

Lifeissweet Sun 19-Jun-11 17:39:54

Gabby, Sorry if you think I'm being rude. I'm really not. I do enjoy your comments.

I, at present, do not teach my Primary age children about whipping horses, as I teach in an inner city school in a deprived area where I doubt most children go near a horse from one year to the next (we do take them to farms and into the countryside, but it's not in their normal experience of the world). I prefer to concentrate my time on teaching them to read, write and count, as I feel these are more important skills for their futures as they stand.

I hope that answers your question.

GabbyLoggon Sun 19-Jun-11 18:26:17

DEBATING..I.f some say its a good thing to whip always because its traditional ...WRONG, would be suffiencent answer from me. Its seem to be from another age. And probably should now be A CRIMINAL OFFENCE. eND OF MY PART OF THE DEBATE. ONCE i HAVE SAID IT SHOULKD BE CRIMINAL. tHATS MY FINAL WORD. THE POINT IS THOSE IN CHARGE OF HORSERacing ARE CAVE MEN

GabbyLoggon Sun 19-Jun-11 18:28:46

just another point. You should not take your parents line on everything for the whole of your life. Country people do this .

YummyHoney Sun 19-Jun-11 20:37:30

I do think it is incredibly cruel to whip a horse (or any animal) and can't understand why anybody would think this was acceptable. sad

GabbyLoggon Mon 20-Jun-11 10:01:06

Well Gabby Logan is reported to be a race horse owner. Or her old man is. she will have views on this.

I agree with you Yummy....it is not the punters who agree with whipping, Its managment, owners and jockeys. The horse that won the grand national was half dead at the end. The jockey was in trouble

GabbyLoggon Tue 21-Jun-11 14:48:38

YEP well, the other Logan thought sulking was the best policy. Pity. I think horse whipping may be stopped within the next 3 or 4 years It needs a push

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now