Talk

Advanced search

Disappointed by low turnout on strike vote

(84 Posts)
gordongrumblebum Tue 14-Jun-11 18:47:22

We will now be slated across the popular press.

(30% of teachers vote for strike action.)

angry

EvilTwins Tue 14-Jun-11 18:48:35

Slated on MN too, of course. Apparently, we're selfish bastards who are out of touch with reality, and it would serve us right if our pensions are abolished completely.

angry

twinklypearls Tue 14-Jun-11 18:49:19

I have to admit that I changed my union because I knew they would vote to strike and I did not want to.

God knows what I will do when the NAS call their ballot in Autumn.

twinklypearls Tue 14-Jun-11 18:52:15

I do think that the public will not be with us on this one.

In all my years of teaching no one has ever said anything negative about teachers to me personally. (Apart from on MN!) Howeverjust from Friday alone there have been three incidents in which friends have told me how disgusted they would be if teachers went on strike.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 14-Jun-11 19:05:36

I'm struggling to understand why people aren't supporting the strikes. Its not as if the unions are asking for anything ridiculous and unreasonable - they are there to protect rights, rights are being degraded, hence the call to strike.

gordongrumblebum Tue 14-Jun-11 19:16:19

So, of about 400,000 teachers, say 300,000 who belong to ATL/NUT, only just over 100.000 voted!

Looks like we just don't give a toss, and the minority who voted willl be seen as 'militants'. A victory for the government already.

twinklypearls Tue 14-Jun-11 19:24:15

I do not understand why people didn't vote if they remained members of that union.

I can see why peopel may have voted no, particularly if you are a member of ATL - a union that traditionally do not strike

I felt a little rushed and wanted more time to find out the facts and think, one of my reasons to go to NAS.

EldonAve Tue 14-Jun-11 21:27:13

so did you all vote?

twinklypearls Tue 14-Jun-11 21:49:41

I will vote when the NAS ballot.

admission Tue 14-Jun-11 21:50:04

Does it also not say that a sizable proportion of the membership of the unions accept that they cannot continue to pay in less than is actually needed for your pension scheme?

meditrina Tue 14-Jun-11 21:53:38

It reported when I saw it as breaking news on SKY that 92% of turnout had voted in favour of strike action, so it did look convincing then. The level of turnout has not received so much attention thus far.

Here's the In The News thread about it.

ImNotaCelebrity Tue 14-Jun-11 22:05:11

I would struggle with striking. DH is a police officer. They are being shafted left, right and centre paywise, but are not allowed to strike. And I couldn't vote yes unless I really thought I would carry it out, and I'm not convinced I would. Yes - completely wet, I know. But I did vote!

meditrina Tue 14-Jun-11 22:07:18

Will all public exams have finished by the strike date?

twinklypearls Tue 14-Jun-11 22:09:45

Yes Meditrina

catinthehat2 Tue 14-Jun-11 22:21:55

"Apparently, we're selfish bastards who are out of touch with reality, and it would serve us right if our pensions are abolished completely."

oh do grow up

EvilTwins Tue 14-Jun-11 22:40:52

Direct quote from another thread cat. Piss off.

catinthehat2 Tue 14-Jun-11 22:49:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

EvilTwins Tue 14-Jun-11 23:10:03

You've been watching me all day? Interesting given that I only posted on MN today at 18.48 (see above)

Unless you're the very nice man from out school IEB who spent much of the day in my department, of course, in which case, yes, you have been watching me all day. And you said that I was brilliant - doing wonderful things with disadvantaged kids, I believe. You were impressed with how much they enjoy the subject I teach, and that they themselves commented on how much it's helped them improve their self esteem and to build relationships with students they wouldn't usually spend time with. Of course, they were the identified G&T kids, so they would say how much they enjoy it.

So no, not an embarrassment to anything.

As I said previously, piss off.

Bet you're an embarrassment to your colleagues and employer too. And I bet you're a dreadful parent. See what I did there? Made random judgements based on nothing at all. Just like you did. grin <snigger> hmm

gordongrumblebum Tue 14-Jun-11 23:19:36

This thread wasn't about whether we should be striking or not: it was about the apathy of the majority of teachers - the fact that only 38% of union members could tick a box, put the voting paper in a pre-addressed envelope and bung it in the nearest post box.

They have totally invalidated the ballot, and have wrecked our chances to be taken seriously.

And the unions are being totally useless - they need to be far more proactive with the media to attempt to get public opinion on our side.

I am very disappointed. sad

somethingwitty82 Tue 14-Jun-11 23:32:02

I think the reason for the low turnout is because most do not want to strike but also do not want to vote against.

For something this important voting should be compulsory so that whatever action is taken is representative

How could the Unions get the public onside? You cant take more out than you put in. Someone has to pay, just shifting the costs onto the next generation and they will be too bust working in sweatshops for the Chinese

piellabakewell Tue 14-Jun-11 23:41:18

ATL have been working tirelessly on this since the conference in April and members have had countless reminders by text, email and mail to send in their vote. I wanted to vote no, as I did at conference, but the advice was to vote yes so that we could give the govt the strongest possible message about the strength of feeling on this issue. It has been a very emotional time for the staff and members of ATL and the decision to ballot for industrial action was not taken lightly. ATL members have a conscience clause that enables them to refuse to take strike action. My understanding is that ALL NUT members, including those who did not, for whatever reason, return their ballot paper, are obliged to take strike action.

cricketballs Wed 15-Jun-11 00:00:36

the newsnight interview from the Tory idiot drove me more to supporting the strike (I am in the NUT and voted for strike action!) when he said "that as professionals we should be thinking about the children and other professionals such as accountants are not striking"

my answer to that -
1. I am thinking about the children..
a) why would future graduates want to go into teaching?
b) MY OWN children are affected because of the planned changes
2. other professionals such as accountants are not public sector workers!!!!!

how does anyone think that a person aged 65-70 can cope etc in a room full of 15 year olds who can smell a weakness from 10 miles (age is a weakness to their minds)?
How can anyone think that when we were promised a pension at a certain age, with a certain % of contribution that when the goal posts are changed overnight that this ok and just take?

Whilst teachers understand the state the countries finances are in (and by the way, the teachers pension fund is not in deficit) it is not our fault - we have not had a wage increase for 2 years for which we have taken gracefully

somethingwitty82 Wed 15-Jun-11 00:04:28

why would future graduates want to go into teaching?

No fear of that up here , there are way way too many being trained

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7608749.stm

twinklypearls Wed 15-Jun-11 00:06:27

Somethingwitty surely you want quality not quantity

meditrina Wed 15-Jun-11 00:08:47

As you say the teachers' pension fund is not in deficit - then there is another way forward. Take the fund and run it yourself. Then you can set the level if contribution you need (presumably keeping it at same level as you seem to be saying this is enough). Of course by doing this you lose the government's underwriting of it, but as that doesn't seem to feature in the debates I've seen, then I assume that's not a point of particular concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now