Talk

Advanced search

GTP

(7 Posts)
fatfingers Sun 12-Jun-11 13:11:01

I intend to ring a few local unis tomorrow but just can't wait until then for an answer grin Does anyone know if I would have a hope in hell of getting on a GTP for a non priority subject (Law) with a 2:1 degree in Community Justice? My degree incorporates 1 module on Law, 1 module on the Criminal Justice System and various other related topics. Is the nature of your degree the main focus when deciding whether or not to give you a GTP place or will they look more at experience, knowledge, motivation, etc?

lulaloop Sun 12-Jun-11 18:15:56

GTPs are not run through universities they are run through local training providers. I don't know where you live but if you google GTP+your local LEA you can find it.

It is probably too late to apply for a GTP for September but well worth a ring round.

fatfingers Sun 12-Jun-11 20:59:12

Thanks Lula, training providers is what I meant - its just that the local training providers are unis. Wouldn't want to start until Sept 2012.

lulaloop Sun 12-Jun-11 21:18:31

Oh well in that case go for it, they will probably ask for evidence of how your degree relates to law so have evidence of module contents etc.

Good luck

Clary Sun 12-Jun-11 21:21:30

What would you be teaching? Do you mean in secondary?

FWIW I have got a place to do GTP secondary with a mere 2:2, it is in MFL tho which is a semi-priority I think. So in my case certainly they were less worried about my degree than about teaching experience/commitment/attitude.

But yes, ring in morning to find out more - as you are wanting to wait till 2012 they may have some tips re work exp etc if applicable as well. smile

fatfingers Sun 12-Jun-11 22:18:58

I would be teaching Law to KS4 and KS5 students in a secondary school. Interesting (and positive) Clary that they focused more on the other factors than your degree. Will ring and have a chat with them tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Clary Sun 12-Jun-11 23:29:45

Oooh no KS3 then?

Actually I like KS3 but I know lots of people don't so could envy you grin

Do you already work in a school etc? I certainly think my current role (cover supervisor at 2ndary) and previous exp in primary as classroom volunteer helped. Also it helps (obv, but still) to have good knowledge of current issues etc and be able to say/write something intelligent!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: