Talk

Advanced search

preschool commitee

(9 Posts)
scrappylinz Sat 11-Jun-11 18:57:22

Does anyone know how a nursery comittee chairperson can be asked to step down from position.? The staff, committee and everyone who comes into contact are turned to stone!! Sadly the preschool will be brought to its knees if she continues. sad

ragged Sat 11-Jun-11 19:10:53

Just ask?
There should be something in your constitution (PLA standard?) about formal procedure for dismissing committee officers, Extraordinary meeting? But I'd just round up a possee to jointly ask her to step down if you're that burgeoning with competent people to fill her shoes desperate.

Keep in mind that even if she does quiet, the fall out could be God-awful in the school yard for years to come.
What is she doing wrong (nosy)?

Ragwort Sat 11-Jun-11 21:14:49

Are you part of the Pre-school Learning Association - could you seek their advice? Make sure you have got a new chair willing to stand. I guess you could have a vote of 'no confidence' in her.

MigratingCoconuts Sun 12-Jun-11 12:29:30

You should have a constitution and it is probably the one recommened by the preschool learning alliance. If so, you can vote the chair off by a majority vote of the family members. You'll need to get a copy of the constitution you have and do everything by the letter to ensure it cannot be contested.

If it helps, the chair cannot stay on for two months after the time their children have left the setting so if they are going to school from septemeber, you can ditch her by the end of the summer.

Ragwort Sun 12-Jun-11 13:55:35

Migrating - is that true about not staying on? I stayed on for nine years after my DS left preschool as no one took over - I was well known to the PLA etc etc grin. Breathes sigh of relief that I have finally left so the OP cannot be talking about me. smile

Ragwort Sun 12-Jun-11 13:56:02

Migrating - is that true about not staying on? I stayed on for nine years after my DS left preschool as no one would take over - I was well known to the PLA etc etc grin. Breathes sigh of relief that I have finally left so the OP cannot be talking about me. smile

MigratingCoconuts Sun 12-Jun-11 14:17:15

it depends if you are classed as a 'family' member or an 'affiliate' member. Family membership ends at the end of the last term their children attended preschool.

60% of the whole committee should be family members. no committee member can serve on the committee for longer than 10 years.

So, yes, you can stay on the committee after the children have left (got that slightly wrong!) but you have to be elected, as always, every year at the AGM but this time your status would shift to 'affiliate member'.

MigratingCoconuts Sun 12-Jun-11 14:22:47

scrappylinz when is your next AGM due? You can definately vote her off then...everyone has to be re elected every year.

ragged Sun 12-Jun-11 16:06:27

I recall our PLA constitution saying that nobody could serve for longer than 3 years at a stretch -- sure enough, we had members who had been there 3-7 years without a break. But I was chairperson & never even saw a copy of the constitution until I had been in office for like .... 7 months? Just about the point when I resigned, in fact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now