Talk

Advanced search

How do i opt out of the health assessments in dds primary school?

(22 Posts)
hotbot Fri 10-Jun-11 21:00:02

Not sure if this is the right place m but hey ho , would appreciate some advice please. We are in the NE of England if it makes a difference? Thanks

fuzzpigFriday Fri 10-Jun-11 21:03:10

I've no idea but out of interest why do you want to opt out?

thisisyesterday Fri 10-Jun-11 21:05:44

i originally just didn't give the form back

but they gave me a new one so i just returned it with "ds1 is not to have any of these health checks" written on.
not signed or anything, so no permission given

hotbot Fri 10-Jun-11 21:06:49

sorry fuzzpig -not going to get into a debate about it - just need the info ....
grin

hotbot Fri 10-Jun-11 21:08:07

ahhh thanks , thisis yesterday, i presume the school send out a form , before the tests then? < pfb starts in sept - sob>

saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 10-Jun-11 21:10:44

The school usually distribute a letter on behalf of School Health. It is most often a negative consent letter; they do the tests unless you tell them otherwise. So you must make sure you send the letter back but you could also write to School Health, you school will let you know the address.

hotbot Fri 10-Jun-11 21:14:47

thanks so much for the info everone
- just relieved that the school have to send something out and it isnt just assumed that i have given permission.

thisisyesterday Fri 10-Jun-11 21:44:25

yeah we had a big yellow form which we had to sign to give consent, so i am pretty sure they can't do them unless they have the thing with your signature on. we got ours either just before or just after ds1 started school i think

of course, it could be down to local health authorities how they do it, so if you don't get anything from school then do ask them about it and check.

mrswoodentop Sat 11-Jun-11 09:38:26

confused,what health checks do they carry out in school ?I didn't think there were any these days.worrying now that I should know something

asdx2 Sat 11-Jun-11 10:08:31

I wrote to the school health withdrawing ds and subsequently dd from the health assessment programme after I declined an assessment with the school nurse (he has autism so has a paediatrician and a whole gamut of professionals involved anyway) and she phoned and said she could see him without me present as she had never seen "one with autism" Have to say that when she got my letter informing her that if she tried to see ds without me present, (copied to her seniors, the school and the school health board), I would take legal action then I never heard from them again grin

Toughasoldboots Sat 11-Jun-11 10:18:44

I was given a phone number to opt out- part of local pct so I just called them. There were no questions and wasn't an issue.

I did this after dd1 class used weight results as part of a maths exercise a d turned them into a graph. Her weight was among the heavier girls and she really suffered with bullying afterwards.

She is within normal range now as with seems to happen all my dc's pork out before a growth spurt

spanieleyes Sat 11-Jun-11 14:45:16

In our county, the school only acts as the place for the examinations, we hand out the letters but the replies go to the Health Authority. So make sure the Health authority knows, it might not be enough to just let the school know

2BoysTooLoud Sat 11-Jun-11 17:21:44

Good grief Toughasoldboots. A weight graph does seem somewhat insensitive!

Michaelahpurple Sun 12-Jun-11 23:20:14

DS1's class does this "maths with own weight" repeatedly too - hence comment today that he wanted to go on a diet "because I always one of the heaviest". Didn't think I'd be having that talk with an 8 year old boy confused. And he isn't even chubby.

Northernlurker Sun 12-Jun-11 23:23:36

We've just had a letter and need to write to withdraw dd2. I will be doing so.

Ripeberry Sun 12-Jun-11 23:34:22

Why do you not want to do anything about it? Running away does not help.

IIRC you get a letter where you are asked to consent.

I didn't with DD2 for good valid reasons. Led to an interesting conversation with the school nurse team.

Northernlurker Mon 13-Jun-11 08:06:46

Ripeberry - I'm not sure if you're addressing me but if you are I can assure I'm not running away from anything. Dd is a normal weight for her height. My issue is that I do not subscribe to a weighing and measuring exercise which will encourage her and all her classmates to dwell on their physical size and shape. I believe that's harmful and whilst I cannot do anything about the other children I will not subject dd to it.

NL - I agree. In my case, DD is small for her age, and has been bullied as a result. I didn't feel that pulling her out every term for a height measuring exercise was helpful, and at the end of the day she's just small, there's nothing they could do about it.

IndigoBell Mon 13-Jun-11 10:14:47

Well, to others who are reading, I can tell you that normally height and weight data isn't shared with anyone - not even the parents.

But the hearing and vision test you get in Y1 can pick up problems that can and should be sorted.....

My friend's vision test picked up that he was virtually blind (prescription needed of +13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - but amazingly no one had realised it.......

Glue ear type stuff is also often picked up.........

I'm sure the posters on here do have good reason to withdraw their DC, but they are exceptional circumstances.

mummytime Mon 13-Jun-11 10:26:16

Around here there are very very few health checks. One weight and height in infants. I don't think they ever check eyes or ears (unlike in my day).

Northernlurker Mon 13-Jun-11 18:18:13

Indigo - dd2 participated in the checks they have when they start school and I agree that has some use. Our letter specfically says that we will be told the results of these year 5/6 measurements. I feel this will lead to peer discussion and frankly obsession with body size that are daughters are already far too exposed to. There is precious all I can do about that - but what I can do, I will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now