Advanced search

Job Marking Alevels

(10 Posts)
ohokthen Sun 05-Jun-11 20:48:53

Hi does anyone know, the criteria for becoming a marker for Alevel papers.

Exactly what quals and exp you need


ohokthen Sun 05-Jun-11 20:50:29

Oh and in particular for Edexcel

SlackSally Sun 05-Jun-11 21:35:24

We're always offered exam marking work (as teachers) directly. I haven't heard of any non-qualified teachers being able to do it, but I couldn't be sure.

ohokthen Sun 05-Jun-11 21:41:29

really slacksally, its just someone has posted on there fb, that they have passed the tests. That qualify them to mark Alevel papers... I know they have qualifications coming out of there ears.

But defo not teaching.

SlackSally Sun 05-Jun-11 23:06:06

I've never heard of anyone having to take tests to do it. It's normally done by teachers who teach the syllabus for some extra money. Obviously their familiarity with it qualifies them to do so.

However, there may well be other ways to do it that I don't know about. Don't take my word for it!

DeWe Mon 06-Jun-11 20:25:04

Just looked at Edexcel's website and they specifically state you should be or have been a teacher to be marking.
I suspect in some subjects it's less important, eg. maths as there's less subjectivity (if there's such a word) but it doesn't say that.

Loshad Mon 06-Jun-11 23:17:38

I mark for AQA - and am a teacher - pretty sure for them you have to be/have been a teacher with a minimum number of years experience teaching. You are expected to be teaching their exam board, and have to submit a CV and a couple of referees, and a declaration that your Head teacher knows and is ok with you doing it. Bloomin hard work for not a lot of cash ( she says mid marking)
Never heard of exams to be sat, though you have to complete some training once they have accepted you as a marker.

Mowlem Tue 07-Jun-11 01:17:15

I mark A levels for Edexcel. Didn't need to do any exams, but I need a relevant degree, and a good couple of years teaching experience. The papers I mark are called 'specialist papers' and so require both degrees + experience. I don't know if I would need all that if I didn't mark the specialist papers.

irregularegular Tue 07-Jun-11 12:49:07

I'm a uni lecturer. I'm not a qualified teacher. I have been contacted before asking if I would do exam marking. Can't imagine why a lecturer would want to do it!

ohokthen Thu 09-Jun-11 20:03:17

Thanks everyone for your replies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: