Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend me some maths resources for a 6yo

(7 Posts)
Toadinthehole Mon 30-May-11 11:23:05

My DD is six and has been at school for approx 18 months. I have been told that her IQ is above average. However, I have also been told that she doesn't concentrate on her maths, and as a result she is somewhat behind in this subject.

She does tend to have more pronounced dislikes than other children her age, and unfortunately maths is one of them. However, I suspect if I could engage her, then she would probably catch up quite quickly.

Can anyone recommend me a resource - possibly a computer game of some sort - that will get her used to playing around with numbers and perhaps lose her distaste for them?

lljkk Mon 30-May-11 13:05:56

Could try mathsisfun.com.

cubscout Mon 30-May-11 18:31:26

BBC bitesize

Coolmathsgames.com

Carolinemaths Tue 31-May-11 11:53:12

Start doing a little bit of work with her each day for about 10 mins, but start with really easy work. It sounds like she needs to get confident with the basics. Resource wise, there are some free high quality websites that I've highlighted on my blog. I think maths zone could work well if you're willing to sift through it.

I'm also a fan of the paid online maths program Maths Whizz. They give each child a (free) test before they start to determine the child's "maths age" then they give your child work that is at the right level.!

Hope this helps.

IndigoBell Tue 31-May-11 14:59:28

IXL looks interesting.

It seems to cover the whole UK Maths syllabus broken down year by year....

fastweb Tue 31-May-11 17:27:33

My son has enjoyed both Mathswhizz and Mathletics. Of the two I think Mathletics has the edge (for him) because he loves the live Mathletics challenge where he compete against kids from all over the globe.

www.mathletics.co.uk/

Toadinthehole Wed 01-Jun-11 10:30:42

Thanks for the suggestions -all appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now