Talk

Advanced search

School reports. What they say and what they actually mean!

(20 Posts)
nevergoogle Fri 27-May-11 09:09:29

"DS1(6) is a keen participant in all PE activities and can be a little over zealous at times, therefore he must try to exert more control in the gym hall".

"He is beginning to make use of his voice in drama with great effect".

"He enjoys exploring sound through percussion and can create simple rhythms. Control has to be shown though between playing times".

He's a noisy, excitable, maniac isn't he? grin Haha, good luck to her.

DeWe Fri 27-May-11 09:19:11

"Uses his brain only when all else fails".
That one was turned down by the school as too negative.
It meant this child is lazy and will copy if possible. However if he is working on his own then he can produce good work.

nevergoogle Fri 27-May-11 09:45:06

oh, that's a bit harsh!

menagerie Fri 27-May-11 10:47:14

"DS1 is an extremely confident child" = DS is cocky pain in the neck know-it-all

"DS2 is continuing to to progress in his concept of sharing, with close support and supervision" = we shout at DS2 when he snatches toys from other children all the time or cries when it's their turn on his favourite toy.

"DS 2 is a cheerful little boy who loves playing outdoors" = DS hates classwork and gives us the slip into the outdoor play area whenever possible.

DS 2 is continuing to make progress with close support and supervision during carpet time" = WTF won't your child sit still when we tell him a story?

nevergoogle Fri 27-May-11 11:09:37

"WTF won't your child sit still when we tell him a story?"
ROFL grin

FebreezeYourJeans Fri 27-May-11 11:13:17

'natural leader' really bossy

mumblechum1 Fri 27-May-11 11:13:59

This year's classic "is laid back about pretty much everything"

Last years, "when cornered, will provide intelligent and insightful comments"

code for "lazy but charming".

A couple of years ago we were slightly bemused to hear that our ds described as "Katherine is a hardworking and polite young lady".

I wonder what Katherine's parents thought of her being described, I'd guess, as a relaxed and disorganised young man.

bebumba Fri 27-May-11 11:21:24

Ds first report "ds is often surprised to find that the school rules apply to him too"
The following year "ds is beginning to develop an understanding of the school rules and why they are in place"
Slow progress!!!!

nevergoogle Fri 27-May-11 11:30:49

oh yes, DS1 took a while to come to terms with P2 and realise that school can be a rewarding and enjoyable place.

nevergoogle Fri 27-May-11 11:31:29

apparently.

i think he still hates it.

Cortina Fri 27-May-11 16:05:49

'Cortina's practical work is rather difficult to judge as it seem to have been left at home for most of the year' - So I didn't make the needlepoint, stuffed cushion, shoot me smile.

Cortina Fri 27-May-11 16:08:22

And who can forget Mr Hughes in woodwork/metalwork who wrote 'Cortina is a capable pupil who has had a good year'. Just the one line, thing is when we opened our reports on the way home it was the same one line for at least a dozen of us smile Reports were in a booklet and each teacher had a page to fill.

clam Fri 27-May-11 16:20:36

"Clam works well under pressure." = "doesn't do a stroke unless poked hard with a sharp stick."
Although my spin on it is that I'm good in a crisis. grin

Shodan Fri 27-May-11 16:30:57

" Is always smartly turned out for PE." = will never make it to the Olympics or even the local five-a-side but at least his kit doesn't smell.

nevergoogle Sat 28-May-11 15:08:43

bump

FebreezeYourJeans Tue 31-May-11 16:29:14

MY PE teacher once wrote about me 'If her skill matched her enthusiasm then she might come close to being a useful member of the team' sad

From that point forward, no enthusiasm and thus with 1 stroke of her pen she got her wish.

spanieleyes Tue 31-May-11 19:36:20

"it would be nice if XXXX and his PE kit could find themselves in the same room at some point!

manicinsomniac Tue 31-May-11 22:16:40

Aawww febreeze sad My games report once said, "if she worked as hard at games as she does at getting out of it then we might see some progress!"

The first school I worked in had a strict policy that reports had to sound positive. It was ridiculous. I ended up writing things like:

"X is lively in class and has used his imagination creatively in practical tasks" = "X is disruptive and talentless"

"X contributes enthusiastically to class discussion" = X never shuts up

"X explains his thought processes well and now needs to develop his written work to match the depth of understanding demonstrated through his oral responses" = X refuses to put pen to paper unless under extreme duress.

Where I work now we're allowed to tell it like it is :D

quirrelquarrel Fri 03-Jun-11 22:05:26

"You seem to have rather recomposed the melody"- sight reading section of piano exam grin

WillowFae Wed 08-Jun-11 23:51:50

In the reception foyer at my school they have a display about the history of the school. They found an old report from the 1950s and have it framed on the wall. Comments then would definitely NOT be allowed now!

"xxx is backward when it comes to English."

I must admit to being a bit envious of those teachers - 2 lines per subject! I'm currently battling my way through 300 reports and each one has to be 10-12 lines sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now