Talk

Advanced search

Wimbledon Primary - Hollymount or private

(9 Posts)
zany Tue 17-May-11 14:11:36

Hello, just wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice on primary schools in SW20. We live about 300m away from Hollymount, from all accounts a good state primary school which we could hopefully get our dd into next Sept. However, my husband is keen to send her to a private primary like the Study or Wimbledon Girls. I am not adverse to the idea but as we have a school so close to us I'm inclined to think why send her to a school further away when there is a good school on our door step. I also think it will be more diverse and I like the idea that it is co-ed and my ds could go there as well. The worry is that if she doesn't go to a private prep then she wouldnt be able to get into a private secondary school. I just dont know what the right decision is, we could afford to send her to a private school but I really dont want her to be in private schooling for both primary and secondary. Im rambling now so any adivce views on Holymount pastorally and acedemically would be much appreciated smile

wheelsonthebus Tue 17-May-11 14:49:17

"The worry is that if she doesn't go to a private prep then she wouldn't be able to get into a private secondary school."

There's no evidence for that. Plenty do.

zany Tue 17-May-11 15:06:25

That's my husbands view, I dont think that is the case either. I just need to persuade him of that smile

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Tue 17-May-11 17:36:51

Your DH is not in touch with reality on this one.

Many, many DCs go to state primary then private secondary in this area.

They may need a bit of tutoring the year before the test to make sure all areas are covered, but that should be about it.

Giselle99 Tue 17-May-11 19:23:33

If you're thinking of the Hall school for both children's secondary, as it isn't selective it doesn't matter what sort of primary school they go to. Many Wimbledon families are doing this - opting out of the entrance exam headaches of WHS and Kings and doing state primary, Hall for secondary. Hopefully by the time your kids get to A levels the Hall will have a 6th form!

lowmaintenancelady Wed 18-May-11 15:36:00

It is certainly possible to go from state to private in Wimbledon. My daughter and two of her friends currently attend a local state primary school and the three of them are going to Wimbledon High from year 7 this September (an independent). I know that girls from other local state schools are doing the same. BUT they all worked very hard for the exam and had private tutoring outside school during Year 5 and 6.

However, I think the move from primary to secondary would probably be less stressful if your child already attended the primary school attached to W High. As far as I understand, it is pretty much certain that primary pupils will get a place in Year 7, unless they are told otherwise. I gather that just a very few girls at the WH primary school receive the dreaded 'letter' in Year 5.

So you don't need your daughter to be in independent school at primary age but it can help, depending on the school!

rhools Wed 18-May-11 22:57:53

@zany: my DD is in reception at hollymount. CAT me and I'm happy to go through any questions you may have. Hollymount is a lovely local school. I have no experience with private schools in the area as yet but do know that a lot of students in Y5-6 are being tutored, which seems the norm in Wimbledon in general.

wheelsonthebus Fri 20-May-11 15:59:27

Sorry to hijack this thread - lowmaintenance lady, can I CAT you with a couple of questions. We (DH and me) are wondering about a similar route for our DD (Y1) and would love some advice.

dimathur Wed 10-Aug-16 09:35:20

Hi Ladies
I am now facing a similar situation where my DDs (Twin daughters) have got through both The Study and Hollymount.I am not sure that spending ridiculous amount of money at The Study is of any use.Is there value for money? Will I get the same kind of academics and probably some extra curricular activities (or we can pay for them outside of the school) at Hollymount that we will at The Study? It would be very helpful if some of you who have made that decision earlier or have DC in any of these schools can give your opinion.Much appreciate.Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now